DISC in the Rock Pit...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
I promised Scott ages ago that I would get out and get him some information on some lead Conicals that he sent me. These are a .406/260 grain Heavy 40 cal bullet. I was a bit worried about how tight they might be - but they were perfect in the Blue Harvester Crush Rib.

My charge was to get Scott some velocites so I decided to try some different powder volumes. I shot T7-3f powder as i am getting low on 2f, somehow some way I have shot up 5 or 6 pounds of it from December to April... I can not believe I have shot that much - but it is gone + I am down to my last box of 180 Gold Dots and 200 grain XTP's and I started with 3 of each...

Thank gosh Rondy season is on us - those PRB's are lot less expensive to shoot.

Anyway, Scott the target was set at 50 yards because I get a little nervous shooting over a chrono. But the bullets did very well. I think I might have tightend the groups a little more if I had cleaned the conicals up and removed the bullet lube. The only ones the spread out were the BH loads - pushing that 260 that hard might have set up some pretty tough barrel harmonics in the 45.

After shooting Scott's 12 conicals, i got down to some serious work... 180 Gold Dots and clay pigeons - then shooting the pieces of the broken birds - gosh! I love that.

I have also posted some picture of the breech are of the gun. I was shooting a NFPJ (modified). I am really getting spoiled shooting a clean Knight... I do not even want to go back to FPJ's...

Here you go Scott...

4-10-10KDEl71-TargetLabel.jpg

Thank you SabotLoader. They were originally made for the 40/xx series of old west black powder cartridges. This sabot load moves them a bit faster and they are supposed to have a hardness of about 15-18 BHN.

I was guessing about 1950fps with my 100gr BH209 load. They do a bit better in my Acurra with the slightly faster twist than in the Elite. I used 100gr BH209 and the Havester Smooth until i got them resized to .401. Now i use the MMP tan but i need to adjust the powder and primer combo again.

At 100grs its hell on the MMP sabots powder cup and the Harvesters dont group as tight now. I should have left them at .406

One thing is for sure...they are pile drivers. They have blown though all my test media and buried deep into the tree stump behind it.

Running it through the calculator, its still good for over 1100fpe at 200 yards and 14" low with a 50yard site in.

Thanks a bunch

GM54-120

I used 100gr BH209 and the Havester Smooth until i got them resized to .401. Now i use the MMP tan but i need to adjust the powder and primer combo again.

I never even tried an MMP - probably should have... I kninda thought I might be stressing the Harvest Crush with the BH, that is pretty heavy bullet for such a heavy bullet and decent force pushing it. Harvester never designed it for that weight. 200 grains was probably the upper end.

do a bit better in my Acurra with the slightly faster twist than in the Elite.

The fster twist certainly could not hurt but the length/weight should do just fine in 1/30 according tho the Greenhill. As I mentioned the lube could have been a part of it and then when i am shooting through a chrono I am more concerned about the chrono than the target.... so that takes a little concentration of the target....

Running it through the calculator, its still good for over 1100fpe at 200 yards and 14" low with a 50yard site in.

What number are you using for a BC on that bullet? Can not imagine it is to high.... + the BC you have might have been calculated for the velocity expected from 40 cal black powder pistol. Changing the velocity will change the BC also.

It was fun to shoot them... I should haveshot some @ at the 100 yard birds just for drill.

they are supposed to have a hardness of about 15-18 BHN.

I really have no clue about the hardness... would they work in a thin skinned deer or would they just push on through??? It seems to me they are harder than my Bull Shop conicals...

I dont shoot my 50s nearly as much either.

The 45s are just more fun to me and a bit flatter shooting.

Getting bullets for $12/100 is a nice bonus too. :D

Latest posts

Back