New on BH 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose1

Reaction score
Just bought Bh 209 to try it.according to Blackhorn web site we should use only standard primer like the CCI209,Winchester 209,f?deral 209, Cheditte and Remington 209.
No where it is said that we could use CCI 209M or Federal 209A.
Bought a box of CCI 209,and someone told me that CCI 209 is not powerfull enought to ignite BH 209.He told me to use Winchester W 209.Then another saleman told me to use CCI 209 M wich is not the standard primer but magnum.
Wrote an E-mail to Blackhorn 209 co. to get their opinion, they told me to use CCI 209M or
Federal 209A.
Those two are not even on the "to use " primers list on the online brochure.
Who should I trusth?
Moose1

cci 209m and federal 209a are the BEST primers to use. Trust the person from Western Powders.

Moose1 said:
Just bought Bh 209 to try it.according to Blackhorn web site we should use only standard primer like the CCI209,Winchester 209,f?deral 209, Cheditte and Remington 209.
No where it is said that we could use CCI 209M or Federal 209A.
Bought a box of CCI 209,and someone told me that CCI 209 is not powerfull enought to ignite BH 209.He told me to use Winchester W 209.Then another saleman told me to use CCI 209 M wich is not the standard primer but magnum.
Wrote an E-mail to Blackhorn 209 co. to get their opinion, they told me to use CCI 209M or
Federal 209A.
Those two are not even on the "to use " primers list on the online brochure.
Who should I trusth?
Moose1

Moose1,

Your right, the brochure says to use the standard 209 primers as well. Just remember that those were written over 2 years ago, and what they meant to relay was to use the regular 209's, not the reduced charge 209's made for muzzleloaders to reduce the crud ring when using 777 powder.

You want to use at least the standard 209's or the magnum 209's. The Federal 209A and CCI 209M are the best choices for the widest range of muzzleloaders and breech plug designs.

What rifle/breech plug are you going to be shooting Blackhorn 209 in? I have personally shot BH209 for 2 years, in around a dozen different rifles, with several types of breech plugs. One rifle with 8 different breech plug designs, another with 6 different breech plug designs, and 3 rifles with 5 different breech plug designs. That doesn't even include the variants of those designs.

I have some breech plugs that will give perfect ignition with ANY 209 primer, however there are no factory breech plugs that I am aware of that will. The breech plugs I speak of is aftermarket and custom plugs made for the H&R/NEF rifles.

The reduced power muzzleloading primer NOT to use would be, Remington Kleanbore muzzleloading primers, Winchester Triple Se7en primers, Federal Fusion primers, CCI MZL primers, T/C muzzleloading primers.

If you want the absolute best ignition, use the CCI 209M or Federal 209A. The guys at Western will tell you the same.

I can use Win209s fine in the modded CVA plug and for some loads they appear to be near the best.

The CCI209M though will ignite heavy charges better IMO and is also better in a larger variety of plugs compared to non mags. They are dirtier though. Just keep a pic and bit on hand and clean it every so often. All depends on the charge, fit and making sure you have NO oil ect in the breach plug. Ive shot 30+ shots in a stock CVA plug with no issues in my WinApex using both primers....besides a bit more blowby than i like.

If you get a modded CVA plug i would use Win209s except if the Mags are working better with a certain charge/bullet/sabot or weather condition.

Primers

I have used CCI 209M and Fed 209A using BH 209. They work perfectly in my Omega. Some others I have tried did not work so well. BH 209 requires a hot primer to successfully ignite the powder.

Thank you all for your answers.

Busta I'm shooting a Traditions Pursuit Pro.
Moose1

Moose1 said:
Thank you all for your answers.

Busta I'm shooting a Traditions Pursuit Pro.
Moose1

The reports ive read do say the Fed209A and CCI209M work really well in that breach plug. Its kinda long if i remember and has a fairly big flash hole.

For some reason i thought you had a Accura.

Usually, if a rifle won't ignite BH209 it's because the flash hole diameter is too small or the breechplug excessively long. So, by using the Mag shotgun primers it will provide ignition while hiding inherent design flaws. My rifles use small rifle primers and have absolutely no problem setting off BH209. Also if your rifle has an inefficient breechplug design like the Knight Revolution, Magnum shotgun primers tend to clog the flame channel a lot quicker. Try the standard 209's first, if they don'y work then you'll have to go to the mags or have someone fabricate a more efficient breechplug with a vent liner and experiment with the flashhole diameters.

Using BH209 in my new BC recently with brand new CCI 209M primers, one primer wouldn't fire after two trigger pulls and the next primer in the box created a hangfire.

Later I measured the flash hole at a tight .0255"-.026" and after conversation with Western Powders, I sent my bp in to them and they drilled it out to .035" which they claim they've found that works the best - we'll see. I believe I had 2 separate issue but both have been resolved - I bought some Federal 209A primers too.

I have had more trouble from the Fed209-A than any other.
On my last range session I shot all day with W-209's and never had a problem ignighting the BH-209 from a cva Accura with a modded BP.

I have been using the regular WIN 209 primers on my Optima Elite .50 cal with an unmodded breech plug. I was told by CVA that this BP has a .027" flash hole size which is not in the recomended range for BH209. I have only shot the powder in 12-20 round sessions and have never had a hang fire. I chose the regular WIN 209 as it averaged to be the longest 209 primer in length and I think that helps seal up the plug and get all the flame through the flash hole. I also have been shooting a really tight sabot combination.

I have a CVA Optima that I shoot regular CCI 209 primers in. Only primer I ever tried with the Blackhorn and I works fine, even after remaining loaded in my truck and garage for a few weeks. Did have a couple hangfires the first session with this combo after 25 or so shots without cleaning the breech plug. Since then, cleaned the plug after 10 or so shots and have ha no further problem.

saxman1 said:
I have had more trouble from the Fed209-A than any other.
On my last range session I shot all day with W-209's and never had a problem ignighting the BH-209 from a cva Accura with a modded BP.

That seems to be what works best MOST of the time in mine also. We both have similar plugs too. I think that its the Win209 is a bit longer and fits the CVA primer pocket very good. Might be the cup material..not sure they just work.

Mine though will shoot any of them fine now. The only one i have left to test is Fiocchi. I think they are smaller than Nobels but larger than Win209 but the cup is like the Win. Not copper colored like the Nobel.

Which reminds me i need to check them for length. :D

Edit: Fiocchis look good, about a thousandth shorter but a thousandth larger in top and bottom ODs.

Back