Airline travel and Muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muzzle

Reaction score
TSA Website

"You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage."

I am not sure why this is a rule? If it is packed correctly it is safer than loaded ammo.

It does not specify 209 primers just percussion caps. I am sure though if they find 209 primers in the checked bags they might now be happy.

I am using airline travel this fall to hunt with my muzzleloader. I am thinking about ground shipping the powder and primers to where I will be huinting. Any other ideas?

Dont try ground shipping it either.Get your outfitter to buy it for you or buy it yourself when you get there.The laws are very strict regarding shipping of powders etc and given the way things are now and the way they're most likely going to go dont take any chances!
Regarding black powder on airlines, it most certainly is not safer than loaded ammunition not only by virtue of quantity but also because unlike the various substitute powders , black powder is actually an explosive.The various substitute powders and all smokeless powders are classed as flammable solids. Again dont take chances with these laws.These bozos running things will make you pay,dearly...

BP

I think I will send the outfitter the money now and have them pick it up so it is guaranteed to be there when I get there.

Man it is tricky hunting muzzleloaders and traveling.

Thanks for the info.

Glad to help and good luck on the hunt.
Travelling is about the only time muzzleloaders aren't under the radar. If driving to a hunt and you use black powder remember it is illegal to drive anywhere explosives are prohibited ( bridges, tunnels etc) . When in doubt alway contact the relevent agency for clarification.

Unless I am really off base, and I don't think I am, All HazMat items such as powders, and Primers must ship Ground Transport only. Never shipped Air.

ShawnT

ShawnT said:
Unless I am really off base, and I don't think I am, All HazMat items such as powders, and Primers must ship Ground Transport only. Never shipped Air.

ShawnT

Wrong. I know for a fact that FedEx ships hazmat daily on their planes. UPS does the same. It's part of my job to identify the hazards associated.

It'll cost ya $10 extra on hazmat fees to ship via plane. 8) $20 ground,,,$30 via plane.

I just had handgun to check-in and a carry-on bag when I flew to Florida last year. TSA, it seems, had different rules for the return flight. I almost lost my S&W!

mcrik

Powder and primers of any type are prohibited on commercial flights. You can, however, transport up to 11 pounds of loaded ammunition on a flight.

I suppose you could load up some shotshells with BH209, and when you get to your destination, cut the shell apart, dump the shot, recover the powder and then punch out the primer and use both in your muzzleloader :roll:

You cannot ship powder or primers at all unless you are trained and licensed to ship HAZMAT materials. I have some gunpowder I would like to sell but could only legally sell it face to face, since I can't ship it.

Back