Who Uses 80g of BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b_vanfossen

Reaction score
I keep reading threads that state they are using 100g or more of black horn. why?

I don't care much for the kick of the higher grains. Is 80 grains not enough? Never hunted with mine and want to make sure I'm not over looking something.

Brian

Depends upon the bullet used and how far you are trying to reach out there. But yes, I would say 80 grains will git 'er dun!

60 grains of Pyrodex will get the job done (most any job) if it's pushing a 500 grain conical. :D

I shoot 80g of BH for several loads. The max distance I can shoot in most places I hunt is about 75 yards so I don't feel the need to push bullets that hard. Additionally, most guns shoot better w/lower charges than with max charges.

I shoot an 80g load for 240g and 300g XTPs as well as 350g FPBs. And when coyote hunting I only use 80g for a 200g XTP.

It's more than likely more than enough powder to get the job done for you.

A lot depends on your personal requirements and tolerance for recoil.
My lightest load is 90 gr my heaviest is 140 gr [ this is with good quality TC guns. I like to practice some at 250 yds on knock downs and gongs, I don't shoot at animals that far 190 is about as far as I will consider a shot as the time a bullet takes to get there is a major consideration. I also like to have a deer pile up with in 25 or 30 yds when I hit him, If you hunt thick brush close to posted property or on public ground how far the deer goes can be a problem.

One of my muzzleloader has a 22.5'' barrel, and setup with a peep sight. Do 3'' groups (and better) all day long at 100 yards with 80 vol. gr. of BH, shooting 250gr XTP. 90% of my whitedeer shots will be under 75 yards, but if a good 100 yard or even 110 yard shot was offered to me, I would take it.

Underclocked said:
Depends upon the bullet used and how far you are trying to reach out there. But yes, I would say 80 grains will git 'er dun!

60 grains of Pyrodex will get the job done (most any job) if it's pushing a 500 grain conical. :D

X2
never tried 80 grains
my lightest so far has been 90 grn with BH 209

I shoot 90gr BH209 out of my disc extreme with 300 grain XTP.self imposed 125 yd limit and this load was most accurate out of my gun.if 80 grains is accurate i wouldnt be afraid to use it out to 75yds.

I will be tomorrow. Under a 240 gr .430 xtp it shoots very well at 100 yards out of my knight. Not as good with my TC, which likes higher charges.

thanks all.

I can shoot a 1" group at 100 yards with the 80g BH209 and a 250 shockwave. I've bought some 250g XTP (.452) when thr SW run out but haven't tried them.

The Trjectory isn't bad with that setup either according to the BC and having to use their default .172 Ball Coefficient.

zero at 100 yards
+ 1.62 @ 50 yards
- 6.3 @ 150 yards

Brian

I've used 80 grains of 777, which give approximately the same velocity as 80 grains of BH209. Trust me, you're not undergunned with this, at least out to 120 yards or so. I used 80 grains 777 and a 200 grain XTP to take a nice buck at 110 yards - boom flop. If you want to shoot really long ranges (150 yards +) then you probably will need to up the powder charge, but for ranges less than that, you should be fine.

I just set up a disc extreme for my friends wife.

200gr shockwave
blue MMP 50 /40 sabot
60 grs volume BH 209
CCIm primer in fpj

Load shoots right at 1400FPS over my Chrony

First time she ever shot a muzzleloader she got a 1 inch 3shot group at 50 yds. The longest shot she will have available to her in her blind is 45 yds. Needless to say she is excited and ready to go.

DC

Oh ya. 80 grains will do it. That's what my ten year old uses in his Triumph with a 250 grain Barnes TEZ.

MatthewsDoeinthewoods.jpg

His first deer at 30 yards. It was a complete pass through and hit a rib going in and coming out.

Matts2nddoe2.jpg

His second deer a week later at 105 yards. She dropped in her tracks with a spine shot that traveled the length of her body and stopped in her hip.

The recovered bullet from the second deer. Plenty of speed for perfect expansion.
Accuracy was much better with 80 grains compared to 110 grains and recoil was much lighter.
Even though 80 grains works just fine, I will be using 110 grains of BH209 in my other guns for deer hunting. I have the Omega BDC and I want to use the reticle to its fullest and 200+ yard shots are possible where I hunt.

My step brother and hunting partner hunts with 80 gr. of BH and a 405 gr. Powerbelt. It works just fine for him.

Latest posts

Back