Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken

Reaction score
I'm a muzzle loading pilgrim. I was invited on a ML Elk hunt in Colorado this season and went using a borrowed rifle. It was a Knight with a paddle stock. It seemed to shoot pretty good. I did see Elk, but never long enough to put a bullet in one. Anyway, I poking around and trying to learn as much as I can before I buy a rifle of my own. Both of the guys I hunt with use Rem 700's and swear by them. Vance swears he can shoot accurately out to 200 yards. I saw him miss a deer broadside at 100 yards with a 30-06 so I don't know whether to believe him or not. I need a in-line rifle with exposed cap like the Remy. Do those Austin Hallick(sp) shoot as good as they look? Thanks, Ken

ken

Do those Austin Hallick(sp) shoot as good as they look?

They do - I had two for several years. They are a bit barrel heavy but other than that a pretty decent gun. They do have some little quirks but those can be overcome....

If you are not in a great hurrry - TC is suppose/rumored to introducing s new line compatible with the Pac Northwest ML rules.

Other than that a Knight Big Horn - wolverine will work very well also - they might be hard to find though, since Knight is not making rifles anymore:

http://www.knightrifles.com/catalog.aspx?catid=Bighorn

+ and I agree with your friend - the Remington 700ml is a great all around and they can still be had at auction sites...

There are a lot of good open breech rifles out there on the market. One of the best for many years was the Thompson Center Black Diamond. A very fouling rifle, but very accurate. If you want to shoot big lead, them look for a White .504 rifle. They can shoot a lead conical better then most any rifle on the market.

Some other good ones are the CVA rifles, the Knight Wolverine, USA, LK series all of them are open breech and shoot well. Look around at a lot of different rifles. Try and handle some of them.

Also don't over look a Traditional rifle. They might be old school but they were taking a lot of game in this country long before the inline was ever thought of.

Back