plastic build up in riflings?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbeers

Reaction score
I have a question,I shoot hornady 300gr hp sabots and bullets out of my great plains hunter flintlock.They shoot incredibly accurate ,only drop 3 1/2 inches at 100 yrds.I'm very happy,but I was told that the plastic from the sabots will build up on my riflings ,causing problems.Is this true? and if so how do I clean it out ? What do I clean it out with? And how often will this build up and need to be cleaned? or is this false and doesn't build up at all? I'm asking you inline guys because you guys shoot sabots out of inline M/Ls.Any advice or info would be appreciated!

It is something that is seldom mentioned with ML's, but common since tells you there could be a build up. I hear a lot of fellas using a 50/50 mix of winsheld cleaner an alcohol. The alcohol should help cut the plastic.

I'm somewhat a shotgun nut, so I'm well aware of the plastic fouling. When shootin paper with the ML, in between shots I use Shooters Choice, shotgun and choke cleaner. It is designed to cut the plastic and carbon fouling. I just wet a patch wraped around a wore out brush, run it in an out a few times. Leave it set a couple min. hit it a couple more times with a good nylon brush. Then dry patch with a jag. This works out about right, as the barrel has had enough time to cool down for the next shot.

The new high quality sabots today produce very little build up in barrels, but it does happen I guess. Get some nylon brushes for your caliber. And a bottle of solvent that removes plastic, lead, copper, and other fouling. Some good ones are Birchwood Casey Solvent, Montana X-treme Cowboy Solvent, Brake Cleaner, Carburetor Cleaner, Hoppe's #9, and other solvents. They will tell what they remove.

Every so often, soak a patch and swab the bore with that solvent. Then dip the brush in it, and go down and up about ten to twenty times. Get some solvent in there. Let the rifle sit a few minutes. Then swab with some solvent on patches again. After a few of them, dry patch the barrel and "normally" that will remove any kind of build up that might be in the barrel. I have not personally seen a lot of plastic build up in my barrels, but I do the above method as routine maintenance.

Several years ago Muzzle Blasts mag did a test on bore cleaners. Rusty Duck Black Off came out on top for all cleaning applications including plastic fouling.

mcrik

Don't worry about it. I shoot a lot some years as much as a case and a half of powder and I have not seen any evidence of that problem. Shoot a group once in a while and if your group slowly opens up the look down the barrel after you clean it good and have the BP out if you see areas that don't shine then get out the plastic cleaner. Lee

WD-40 will take the plastic out of the rifling. It was recommended to me by a famous gun maker for shotgun slug guns and muzzleloaders. give it a try.

Shooters Choice, shotgun and choke cleaner. is the IT when it comes to removing plastic build up. I've had it come out in strings using this stuff. and that was in what I though was a clean barrel. defineately give it a try.

I do my normal cleaning routine,...shooting BH209 it's usually Hoppes 9 from start to finish anyway..when I'm happy with the bore condition,..I'll soak a final patch with Hoppes 9, let it soak for 30 minutes or so....soak a brush,..make 6-7 passes with the brush... a couple dry patches & then oil. If ya do something like this after every shooting session...I don't believe your ever giving your ML the oppurtunity to let the sabot material "build up"
Just my 2 cents man.

I clean muzzleloader with powder solvent and then wd 40.Maybe I've been cleaning it out all along and didn't know it.I know I haven't had a lick of rust since I started using the wd40!

A copper brush will give you a false "dirty" patch due to a chemical reaction with the solvent... ask me why I know. :wink:

Back