flints and knapping

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stude283

Reaction score
hey flinters,
Just getting back into flinters and either didn't know much before or forgot about everything.Can anyone suggest a source where I could learn how to knap a flint?Also I have read that if you use a lead wrap knapping would not be needed,does that sound right?How about cut agate,anygood?Can agate be sharpened with a diamond file and is it worth it?I'm sure I'll have more questions as problems develop.
Thanks for help!

stude283 said:
hey flinters,
Just getting back into flinters and either didn't know much before or forgot about everything.Can anyone suggest a source where I could learn how to knap a flint?Also I have read that if you use a lead wrap knapping would not be needed,does that sound right?How about cut agate,anygood?Can agate be sharpened with a diamond file and is it worth it?I'm sure I'll have more questions as problems develop.
Thanks for help!

Well I know of no book that explains knapping but there are a few ways to do it. Some with use a chipper, others just tap the edge with a knappnig hammer.

I have always wondered if a Agate can be sharpened with a diamond grind wheel. I guess one of these times I will have to try it. As for the lead wrap idea, I don't like a lead wrap and will not use them. Its a leather wrap for me. And I use a diamond wheel to knock the humps off as well.

Track of the Wolf has a book on the history of the flint trade and it includes "how-to" info--

The Manufacture of Gunflints, by Sydnet B J Skertchy. It was originally written in the 19th century and looks pretty interesting.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categorie ... m=BOOK-MOG

TOW also has a couple books and DVD's on knapping arrowheads and points--you could probably apply the techniques to gun flints.

Latest posts

Back