BH209 isn't as "clean" as I thought it would be.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot Harvester crush Rib sabots and 300 grain XTP MAGs with 110 grains of BH 209. I have a Triumph and can shoot a while between barrel cleanings. It sounds like you have a bullet/sabot combo that's way to tight.

BuckDoeHunter said:
If it gets harder to load after the first shot with BH209, something isnt quite right. In my three different rifles, the second, third, forth, etc. were easier to load than the first. And after that first shot, each load went down with the same amount of pressure on the ramrod. IMO, swabbing between shots isnt necessary, but if it works for you, I dont see the harm in it, it will even give your barrel a chance to cool down for more consistant shooting.

yep, never had an issue with loading the encore shooting BH209 and have probably dropped 40 rounds in a row at the range without any swabbing, only allowing the barrel to cool

Triumph

I just took my son's new TC Triumph to the range yesterday. First thing I did was clean the barrel with patches soaked in Montana Extreme Cleaner. It was a shocker to see how much brown grime came out. I shot Harvester Crushed Rib Sabots with 260gr PT and some of the Harvester .40 cal 200 grain bullets in the blue crushed rib sabots. I never cleaned the barrel and they loaded with slight resistance everytime. The .40 cal seemed to shoot the best for a youth load I was working up at 50 yds with 75 grains of Blackhorn 209

Re: Triumph

smyers717 said:
I just took my son's new TC Triumph to the range yesterday. First thing I did was clean the barrel with patches soaked in Montana Extreme Cleaner. It was a shocker to see how much brown grime came out. I shot Harvester Crushed Rib Sabots with 260gr PT and some of the Harvester .40 cal 200 grain bullets in the blue crushed rib sabots. I never cleaned the barrel and they loaded with slight resistance everytime. The .40 cal seemed to shoot the best for a youth load I was working up at 50 yds with 75 grains of Blackhorn 209

Welcome to the forum. That sounds like a good youth load. It should plant a whitetail just fine.

lefteye said:
I shoot Harvester crush Rib sabots and 300 grain XTP MAGs with 110 grains of BH 209. I have a Triumph and can shoot a while between barrel cleanings. It sounds like you have a bullet/sabot combo that's way to tight.

Yep i was gonna say try some crush ribs sabots, first one loaded on clean barrel in my gun goes really easy then after about three shots those crush ribs come in handy because of the build up. Im using cci 209M primers so im probably putting alot of fouling in the barrel just from the primers.

not so clean 209

I am not sure why one would not want to swipe the bore after each shot while shooting on the range. You should not be shooting black powder if you don't have the time to shoot correctly. Swiping the bore can only help. The theory is, if you do, you will push the soot against the BP, and it will build up. This may be true, but I dont shoot more tha 25 times at any range outing, and I Have never had a problem with swiping the bore. I swipe with a dry patch, both sides in between shots. The first side usually takes care of most of the soot, the other side gets it pretty clean. The following shots all load with the same pressure. When using T7 I use pre soaked patches with fantastic, and one dry one, both sides.
I also believe that the amount of the charge, and the ignition system plays a big part in the soot that is produced, as well as the gun. Keep in mind each gun has its own personality. Finding out what it can do,or can't do, what it likes, and what it dislikes can be somewhat of a problem. My own findings are, 209 is not that much cleaner than T7 and when using both the end result depends on the gun. I like and use both of them. When not shooting, the bore is oiled with Birchwood Casey oil.

Re: not so clean 209

GRANDBOW said:
I am not sure why one would not want to swipe the bore after each shot while shooting on the range. You should not be shooting black powder if you don't have the time to shoot correctly. Swiping the bore can only help..........................................

I am sure why one would not swipe the bore after each shot at the range. It doesn't help my loading or accuracy, is why i don't swipe the bore after each shot. I have tried it both ways, and swiping the bore after each shot at the range is a waste of time, using any of my rifles. If one shoots sub 2" 3 shot groups at 200 yd without swiping, pray tell how swiping would 'help'.

The only powder i use is BH209.

Before BH209 became available, and i was shooting 777, swiping the bore was an absolute necessity, between shots, whether at the range or in the field, hunting. In my rifles there is a large difference between 777, and BH209, when it comes to swiping and shooting.

I try for the best accuracy thats what I enjoy doing Blackhorn gives me the best accuracy and the best trajectory and it gives me the best accuracy when I do not swab the barrel there for swabbing is in opposition to the best results. Lee

I almost never swab with BH209 BUT after about 20 shots i can feel the sabots get tighter. Sometimes the accuracy is a bit better then. It all depends on the OD of the sabot/bullet combo. If they get really tight i run a dry patch.

Usually within 30 shots i need to run a dry patch and then the loading pressure feels just like about 10 rounds which is usually when i get the best accuracy.

I dont even get serious about tight groups until a minimum of 7 shots of BH209. Shots 3-15 load very easy compared to the first shot. The first 2 are a tiny bit tight but not bad. At roughly the 3rd shot they load very smooth with the proper cool down time.

Today im only going to use CrushRibs, Knight BT blues and MMP 3 Petal EZs in the Extreme 50. I got some sub bases too, i want to see if the effect (good or bad) on a loose sabot. Plus a few i plan on trying with 120gr charges. Ive seed a few on the Knight Blue EZ boattails after 120gr charges and the sub base should help.

Today is just the warm up. Tomorrow its going to really get a pounding with the tighter sabots and heavy weights. :D

I have another flat base conical experiment with my 54 i will post on another thread if it works.

I almost never swab with BH209 BUT after about 20 shots i can feel the sabots get tighter. Sometimes the accuracy is a bit better then. It all depends on the OD of the sabot/bullet combo. If they get really tight i run a dry patch.

Same here

Latest posts

Back