omega owners

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger8mm

Reaction score
well Im selling my knight to buy an omega z5. any thing I need to know befor i buy it. cleaning tips? loading? powder?

the only thing I dislike about my omega z5 is that the barrel is kinda tight. I sloved that little deal with help from{sabot loader} with a crush rib sabot.

hope this help a littled

thank sam

I assume you plan to shoot ONLY sabots through it? Because Knights are much better conical shooters. Many Omegas won't shoot conicals. Most will shoot Powerbelts and Hornady FPB's well, but you won't know until you try them.

Other than that, they are great guns. Weatherproof breech and ease of cleaning are two reasons I really like mine. They tend to form a bad 777 crud ring, but it isn't too bad if you use the reduced strenght primers and swab between shots.

I shoot BH 209 in mine and it loves it.

their stocks also can be flimsy and change POI after you remove the barrel to clean. + everything else that has been mentioned above.

trigger8mm,

Great choice on the Omega. They are one of the simplest, easiest to clean ML's around as far as I'm concerned. I've had good luck with mine. Last year was my first year with BH209. I ended up using 110 grains by volume of BH209, short black harvester sabot and 300gr SST. Multiple deer down with it.

txhunter58 said:
I assume you plan to shoot ONLY sabots through it? Because Knights are much better conical shooters. Many Omegas won't shoot conicals. Most will shoot Powerbelts and Hornady FPB's well, but you won't know until you try them.

Other than that, they are great guns. Weatherproof breech and ease of cleaning are two reasons I really like mine. They tend to form a bad 777 crud ring, but it isn't too bad if you use the reduced strenght primers and swab between shots.

I shoot BH 209 in mine and it loves it.

He just said it all...

Some like them some don't they are an excellent gun for the money but the "improve Omega" is the Triumph and they are very good. Lee

Omega

Mine loves 110gr BH209, 260gr Scorpion PT Gold bullets with Fed 209A primer. 1" groups at 100 yds, 2 1/2" groups at 200 yds.

I love mine, shoots 105gr BH and the barnes 285g spitfire into the bullseye all day any day!

coop2564 said:
I love mine, shoots 105gr BH and the barnes 285g spitfire into the bullseye all day any day!

Are you using the factory supplied yellow sabot? I shoot the same bullet with 100gr BH and it loves that load. I tried the Havester BT sabots and my group opens. I hope to shoot a cow elk in two weeks using that load.

well the omega is only $299 right now. and the triumph is still in the $400 so im getting the omega. i have a new englander for the conicals. gonna use the 300gr hornaday sst with the crushed rib sabot.

trigger8mm said:
well the omega is only $299 right now. and the triumph is still in the $400 so im getting the omega. i have a new englander for the conicals. gonna use the 300gr hornaday sst with the crushed rib sabot.

I think the omega i by far the best buy , GREAT gun for 299.00 and worth 400 IMO !! The Triumph was the worst feeling muzzy '' I '' have ever handled . Just love how simple design the O mega is and No hinge pins to deal with and the trigger is sooo easy to get to if needed . If i ever replace my Encore it will be with a Omega SS :D :D

utah rob bring up a good point that a another reason i went with the omega over the triumph is how the felt to me . the triumph just didnt have the feel that the omega did.

thank sam208

Cajun said:
coop2564 said:

Are you using the factory supplied yellow sabot? I shoot the same bullet with 100gr BH and it loves that load. I tried the Havester BT sabots and my group opens. I hope to shoot a cow elk in two weeks using that load.

Yes on the yellow sabot I to tried the havester and group opened as well. However the new blue EZ load factoy sabot is much easier to load in mine and just as accurate you might give it a try if you see them on the shelf.

I love mine, the breech locks up really tight with an excellent trigger. Zero blowback, and very easy to clean. It is also more accurate than I am. Only thing I don't like about mine is the light stock and the scope mount holes were drilled slightly off from the top. I used millet rings and was able to pull the scope right back over the center of the bore. I got the one with the weathershield finish and am not sure I would do that again. I think I would go with the blued finish unless I am getting stainless.

I had bought my z5 at walmart for $99 after season blue version with all the trimmings in the package. I didnt care for the stock either and bought a laminated thumbhole stock for it on sale for $129, after season there are some great deals.

You might consider waiting a bit till the new ones come out with several improvements.
Now I would like to have one with the Speed Breach a little more clearance on th drop block a stainless steel barrel and a gray laminated stock with a tow pound trigger. Lee

Back