45-70 GOVT. = .45 ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes...I thought of that first...too. The problem is in the size of the powder cavity. You need to get the bullet/sabot a bit above the throat area. A 45-70 catridge would have too large an area for powder. This is actually easy for my machinist to turn out..so he tells me. This plug has a cavity about 5/8" deep. Working out very well so far. My buddy has an H&R that he made a "push-in " plug for too. 24" barrel ...also very accurate.

squirrelhawker said:
Yes...I thought of that first...too. The problem is in the size of the powder cavity. You need to get the bullet/sabot a bit above the throat area. A 45-70 catridge would have too large an area for powder. This is actually easy for my machinist to turn out..so he tells me. This plug has a cavity about 5/8" deep. Working out very well so far. My buddy has an H&R that he made a "push-in " plug for too. 24" barrel ...also very accurate.

How bout using the cut down 45-70 case like a 25ACP primer thing, like Hakx said, but with-out a breech plug. Prime the 45-70 cut down case with a Large Rifle Magnum Primer.

So NOW lets fill that large space with a very bulky-slow burn powder like... IMR7828 SSC or Retumbo. This would fill up the space and put your sabot in the rifling where it belongs. :think:

lane said:
squirrelhawker said:

How bout using the cut down 45-70 case like a 25ACP primer thing, like Hakx said, but with-out a breech plug. Prime the 45-70 cut down case with a Large Rifle Magnum Primer.

So NOW lets fill that large space with a very bulky-slow burn powder like... IMR7828 SSC or Retumbo. This would fill up the space and put your sabot in the rifling where it belongs. :think:

I also had wondered about that..Lane. I wasnt sure about the powder choices working with the lightweight 200 gr, bullet. Under the circumstances I was given...the plug seemed the surest bet... It would take a lot of slow burning powder to get the bullet where needed and could it all be burnt in my 20" barrel?? Probably not. lot of fun thinking about this stuff though... :lol:

Yup, I was thinking 24inch Barrel like your friend's with the "Push-In" plug. That would be my choice for testing...If I had one :wink: 8)

I'm gonna have to borrow somebody's long barreled 45-70 for some "Testing" :yeah:

lane said:
Yup, I was thinking 24inch Barrel like your friend's with the "Push-In" plug. That would be my choice for testing...If I had one :wink: 8)

I'm gonna have to borrow somebody's long barreled 45-70 for some "Testing" :yeah:

Hey...now that sounds like fun! Keep us posted!!..or at least PM me.. :wink:

I was shooting my buddy's gun you speak of the other day with mine. I was getting about 100 fps more from the extra 4" of the H&R barrel using 60 gr H4198 & 200 SST. Was getting around 2650 from his. 2550 from the TC. My TC was a lot easier to shoot accurately with the 1.5lb. trigger.

I can appreciate that you guys are having fun but this discussion really should continue in the smokeless forum. Krazy bastichez! :wink:

Underclocked said:
I can appreciate that you guys are having fun but this discussion really should continue in the smokeless forum. Krazy bastichez! :wink:

That was my intention before getting sidetracked again....I will put my clothes on and leave. :lol: Any future posts on this subject in the "inline" forum and it will be assumed I am using BH209. :wink:

Back