700 ML ...I am happy!!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
:D :D
I recently purchased an unfired Remington 700 ML from a guy in Utah.

Lucky, Huh??? 8)

It arrived with a musket nipple set up.

I purchased the 209 conversion kit from Lavaltrie in Canada and after a long wait it finally arrived yesterday.

The quality of this gun is nothing short of it's center fire cousin, sporting the same Douglas barrel.

I added some weight to the Tupperware stock with lead and some expandable foam.

I installed the new spring, firing pin, and nipple conversion, installed Warne QD rings and topped it with a Sightron scope, (thanks Dave).

I couldn't wait for morning so I could finally shoot it.

6:30 came this morning and my feet hit the ground running. Coffee sloshing from my cup, I hurried to the shop.

I threw the window open at my shooting bench, took down the smoke detector, which always goes off whenever I make smoke, turned on the Magilla Cam and my range TV, loaded up the 700 with Sabotloaders recipe of 100 grains of BH, Federal primer, HPH 24 sabot and a 250 gr. XTP, dawned the muffs and "touched" one off. And I mean touched one off! Trigger pull on this gun was without creep, light, crisp, and as sweet as the 308 I shot last week. WOW.

The scope was close enough from bore sighting the night before so the first group was low and to the left..... .900" SMOA!!! :shock:

Had to be the load!!! The recipe!!!

Adjusted the scope up...fired
Adjusted the scope up again...fired
Adjusted the scope right, and....

Reloading with a Barnes 245 Spitfire over 110 gr. 777 ffg, touched off by a Federal 209 the next 3 shot group was even smaller.
.830"
SANY1075.jpg

Cleaning this gun was different from, but not that much harder, than cleaning one of my Knights.

I will soon add a walnut stock to this amazingly accurate rifle, and it will go into my collection as a real muzzle loading limited production "classic".

Special thanks to Pete (coach) Sabotloader, for his expertise and patience with all my phone calls, pms, and emails.

I am as happy as one can be when you've found a new passion.

It's gonna be a Magilla Killa!!!
Spit

Tom....you really need to shoot yours!
:wink:

SANY1076.jpg

SANY1079.jpg

SANY1083.jpg

Ain't it nice when a plan comes together??

I used to have one of those but I think I traded it for a knight :roll: :roll:

remington 700

Fine lookin rifle, Does it have a recoil lug and two action screws like the centerfires?
Wayles

Nice looking gun! Good shooting!

Is the 209 kit the same one Remington used to market? Not actually a firing pin..but a plunger. The setup I remember wasnt very well sealed..

Re: remington 700

wayles said:
Fine lookin rifle, Does it have a recoil lug and two action screws like the centerfires?
Wayles

Wayne...It has two action screws and I believe it has the recoil lug as well. However, I have not had it out of the stock yet.

My understanding is... that it is the an actual 700 short action with the bolt altered and the double bolt lugs removed.

Stock interchanges with 700 ADL short action, so if anyone has an old walnut stock for a Remmy that I can refinish, let me know how much you want for it. :)

squirrelhawker said:

Is the 209 kit the same one Remington used to market? Not actually a firing pin..but a plunger. The setup I remember wasnt very well sealed..

SH.....This is the Canadian version that Cabelas sold at one time.

Probably the same with the exception of the 209 nipple.

We will have to have Sabotloader weight in on this.....

Spitpatch said:
squirrelhawker said:

I would be very interested. :) .

I had one of those..looked just like that one. Sold it quite a while back. Couldnt hardly give them away for a while there. Should have kept it. Would have liked to play around with the breechplug on one....keep my machinist buddy busy ha ha .
As with others..the breechplug/209 nipple was a weak point there. You could otherwise shoot some smokeless.....BH209...you already have.. :lol:

700 rem. recoil lug

Spit {recoil lug}
Its just a matter of time till you do have it apart. Let me know when you get aroundtoit. You need to check the torque on them screws anyway. LOL
Wayles

Re: 700 rem. recoil lug

wayles said:
Spit {recoil lug}
Its just a matter of time till you do have it apart. Let me know when you get aroundtoit. You need to check the torque on them screws anyway. LOL
Wayles

You're right....I do!....T's

Great Shooting... also that is a nice looking setup you have there. SL always said they were shooters. You're proving that point.

Re: 700 rem. recoil lug

wayles said:
Spit {recoil lug}
Wayles

SANY1088.jpg

SANY1089.jpg

remington 700

I see the standard three holes on the trigger. By any chance can the trigger be adjusted?. If not a trigger can be purchased for a remington.By golly That gun is made the way a gun is supposed to be made! I guess I will have to have one. I would do just what you are planning and find me a wood stock and open the barrel channel up and glass bed the action as well as install pillars. I wouldn't even worry about a ramrod. Carry it in your pack. It shoots great already. Bet you could turn it into a 1 holer. How many grain of BH209 do you think it would handel?
Wayles

Spitpatch said:
squirrelhawker said:

No bite from Sabotloader :lol:

squirrelhawker

Sorry, I have been working - retirement got to me had to go back to work for awhile....

The Cabelas Conversion and the one from Canada - are the same conversion and OM the best one. The Remington Conversion is junk.

The gun remains a plunger style no matter which conversion you use. The Canadian is cleaner and can shoot BH but I suggest the copper weather shield on the nose of the bolt. Protects the scope and does not let any parts out.

The big difference is in the nipple and the hammer.

The trigger is a Walker and fully adjustable...

Sounds like a nice set-up overall. Can anyone recall whether or not Remington offered that ML in a .45?

derfhunter said:
Yes they did, the only ones I have seen have been stainless with a 26" barrel. I have one and really like it.

And you are going to sell it to me, right?? :lol:

squirrelhawker

They did offer a 45 - just bought one for Tom - 1/28 twist stainless - black.

It is not in the works 'right now' but there may be a modification offered for the BP - Nipple - and bolt face at a later date for the 700 ml.

Latest posts

Back