Who shoots conicals in a T/C with QLA?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeRebel

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new muzzleloader and used to have an Encore Prohunter and sold it. Now I think I want another Encore but I want a ML that will shoot conicals well. I have heard alot of people say that T/C rifle will not shoot them very accurately. I,m also thinking about the Bergara barrel made for the Encore, has anybody tried them? How do they fit on the frame?

look at the CVA Apex. More bang for your buck IMO. + it shoots conicals.

UC here has the Apex, may want to pm him and pick his brain. Careful tho, hes old and fragile 8)

Any TC gun with the QLA will only shoot a saboted bullet with any accuracy. IMO Been there,,, I had a FireHawk,pre QLA, that I sent off to have the QLA installed when there was also a trigger problem. That gun was a conical shooter before I fell for the hype, but not after. It did good with Knight saboted bullets till the Encore came out and I sold the FireHawk. I never could get the .45 Encore to shoot conicals and sold that barrel, the .50 was OK, and I killed a few deer with it, but still not satisfied. Then I tried a White Super 91 and the rest is history. My Encore is sold now pending funds, if that helps any...This is just my experiences and opinion for whatever its worth.

:lol: well shoot, i believe those were brand new whites! You should have bought all they had, ive seen used whites go for more than what that place was asking for new ones!

How about the Begara Barrels for the T/C? Anybody have one. The Apex is very nice but the T/C has so many options: stock, barrels, ect.

If it is a T/C and has a QLA, it is a crap shoot whether or not it will shoot conicals. Nomally, they will shoot powerbelts and Hornady FPB (conicals) well, but not any others reliably.

I have only had an Omega, but that is the case for this barrel with a QLA.

If Bergara is making barrels for the Encore, I haven't heard about it. From what I understand, they make the Apex barrel (with a QLA) and it is reported to shoot conicals well.

Bergara has been making Encore barrels for a couple years, I don't have one but have heard good reports about them. Bergara uses a very short false muzzle (approx 3/8" or so) versus the T/C's 1" long QLA.

I too, would choose the CVA Apex over the T/C Encore. But don't take my word for it, handle them both in a side by side comparison. Be prepared to put your bias aside, I had to. :wink: Use that extra money you save for a scope and rings.

If you REALLY want to shoot conicals, get a White or a Knight!

24zkwt4.jpg

This is the only group I've fired with the Apex using heavy conicals so far. I had only sized a very few just to see if they would shoot well. Well enough! :)

After looking around I think I want a Knight Disc Extreme but where can I find one? Knight is not making rifle anymore. I will check out the Apex also but again where can I find one? Nobody around here has one. How much are the Apex selling for? I would want stainless with black stock.
Thanks for all your input guys.

I bought a Knight long range hunter when they went on clearance. That is basically an extreme with a different barrel and stock.

I use BH 209 and FPBs with the bare primer set up and it shoots great. Haven't tried any other conicals.

I have shot Sabortooth Power Belts Hornady FPB and the Thor in 3 of my TC's all shot well; I tried the 460 gr I can not remember if it was a BS or a No Excuses just to see what one of them big chucks felt like and with the 80 gr load with a cornmeal amount of equal volume and a wad it shot a two inch group at 100yds which I considered alright as I only tried one load and shot only 5 shots. It kind of bucked a bit.
The FPB shoots 1/2 inch groups from time to time for me out of my new Endeavor, I think it would do it all the time except for operator error.

Latest posts

Back