off topic question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalberg

Reaction score
I know this really shouldn't be here but I figured it would get the most looks here. Does any body have any good suggestions for waterproof socks. To not only keep feet dry but warmer also. Thanks guys
Doug

Waterproofing socks never concern me. I am more interested in waterproofed boots then I stay of of water deeper then my boots.

If you want warm feet, besides a good pair of boots, get a pair of compression socks at wal mart. Some call them diabetic socks. Put them on and then a good pair of wood socks, and finally quality waterproof boots. Your feet will stay dry, warm and comfortable if you don't fall in the lake..

i second the waterproof boots

but be aware may times you think the boots leak but its actually your feet sweating

i use liner socks and a set of thin wool socks in my boots (from rubber 1200 grams to my 400 gr rocky leather boots)

your feet need to breathe and they will stay warmer

remember the old rubber boots you would get cold in like 1 hour (cotton socks and non breathing boots)

JD

PS i am a self proclaimed boot junky I have a small foot (size 9) so i get a shot at many boots on closeout at the end of the year

i have felt liners in my boots ,remove the felt liners every day after i finished hunting ..also have 1 pair of woolen socks in my packsack ,we do a lot of walking when we hunt CARIBOU on the tundra ..my boots are 100% water proof ..

I prefer waterproof boots as well. To me, it is easier to keep my feet warm inside of dry waterproof boots versus wet boots with waterproof socks. I have a pair of Merrill hiking boots with a Goretex liner that have kept my feet warm and dry for the last 15 years.

Ben

I and my wife own several pair of boots each. That way we can switch if they get damp or wet.

Dave

my biggest problem seems to be sweating feet. My 1/2 mile walk in turns them to sweat, I was looking for something to wick away the moisture while still keeping my feet warm. I have even thought of walking to my stand in tennis shoes and putting on heavy socks and boots when I arrive. My dad use to swear by his felt shoes, wonder if he still has them... what are the liner socks you guys use? I did some digging and found some smartwool products I see they sell a liner and outer sock as a pair. Thanks for the replies. Doug
https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm#/Mens/Socks/PerformanceSocks/Outdoor/2198/

dalberg, what kind of boots are you wearing on your 1/2 mile walk and what range of temperatures do you experience?

Ben

2 year old waterproof Iris Setters, 800 gram thinsulate. Temp can be low teen to upper 20. Sometimes I wonder if they are to warm for those temps and make my feet sweat more.

2 year old waterproof Iris Setters, 800 gram thinsulate. Temp can be low teen to upper 20. Sometimes I wonder if they are to warm for those temps and make my feet sweat more.

Try Rocky. I bought some snow boots some years ago and they are the warmest/driest ive ever owned. I think i paid $60 for mine.

Dalberg, Nothing wrong with Irish Setter. You could try using only a thin pair of socks for the walk to the blind and then add a warmer pair once at the blind. I purchased a pair of Rockys with 1000 grams Thinsulate and they are plenty warm in most cases and like you said maybe too warm. I have had sweated up feet in the Rockies. The weather was Exceptionally warm this fall so I never did wear the Rockys this hunting season.

Dalberg, forgot to comment on your questions on the hasedsocks. I usually like to wear two pairs so if there is any rubbing done, it is not against your foot. I purchased a pair of socks that look like the heavier of the two pairs in your link. The first day I wore them, I didn't bother to put another pair under them(they are snug fitting on your foot). By the end of the day, top of my foot was rubbed raw by my boots. Wore the same boots with two pairs of socks and never had a problem again.

Seems it dosen't matter what boots i have on, my feet sweat, I think I may try the smart wool socks. Thanks for the replies.
Doug

I have 2 pair of boots right now
16" LL Bean Guide Boots (Non insulated) and some Cabelas neopreme rubber boots (800 gram)
I use a liner sock and then a wool sock regardless of the boot or weather.
My feet sweat bad also

Back