Do ML crowns ever get damaged?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
I know the crown at the end of the muzzle is really important for bench shooters but I was wondering do ML crowns ever see that much damaged since they are loaded and sometimes cleaned with a ramrod from the muzzle end? I see on the newer T/C's they have the QLA feature which puts the crown further down the barrel with less of a chance of the ramrod wearing on it. Just wondering if this has much of an affect on poor groups sometimes? Thanks.

i do'nt shoot as much as alot of these folks but put about 300-500rnds. yr.down range.unless i'm hunting my range rods ALLWAYS have a bore guide on them.they can't hurt and they only cost about $3...........karl

Thanks for the replies, but I was more interested in whether the crowns actually do get damaged - not using preventative measures to avoid it. Thanks.

Yes, ML crowns can get damaged and worn. A friend's percussion target rifle has over 12,000 rds through it over the last 20+ years and I think he has recrowned it twice to bring back the kind of accuracy he wants, but he is very picky.

For my ML's, I always use a muzzle guide on my range rods and have not had any problems. I have one Omega from the first year they came out (2002 or 2003?) and it has over 2000 rds through it and is as accurate today as the day I bought it.

I use a muzzle guide for cleaning my lever guns from the muzzle too.

The ramrod damage is bad if a protective bushing or sleeve is not used. Any ramrod will damage the end off the bore at the crown eventually if a bushing is not used; the worst of them is the fiberglass ramrod that was popular for a while I re-crowned some that had the rifling cut away so bad you could see the damage at a glance. Any scratch or deformation in the button area can cause the gun to shoot erratically as far as accuracy is concerned.

Lee 9 said:
The ramrod damage is bad if a protective bushing or sleeve is not used. Any ramrod will damage the end off the bore at the crown eventually if a bushing is not used; the worst of them is the fiberglass ramrod that was popular for a while I re-crowned some that had the rifling cut away so bad you could see the damage at a glance. Any scratch or deformation in the button area can cause the gun to shoot erratically as far as accuracy is concerned.

Where do you get ML bore guides?

you should be able to get them at any good sporting goods store or gun shop. If nothing local try MidwayUSA online.

For those that always use a bore guide to clean their muzzleloaders, do you also use the bore guide when you load and seat a bullet?

Always at the range and for the first shot hunting which is loaded at home.

ML Bore Guides

Here's a tip that has helped me... 8)

My T/C Range Rod has a bore guide on it, and 2 inches back from the jag I wrapped enough black electrical tape that there's no way the guide can slip off...

Net result = every shot at the range and the 1st one loaded before hunting will always have the bore guide used. And then there's all the wipes & swipes made while cleaning -- while I always do those from the breech end, the bore guide centers the rod in the back of the barrel too.

Tight groups,

Old No7

Latest posts

Back