deep cleaning Q

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyne

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions on how to clean the breech plug and bolt assembly on my knight disc elite rifle. I am having a hard time cleaning the space where the disc fits into the bolt as the nipple of the breech plug. Does anyone soak these parts in carb cleaner/ brake cleaner for an extended period of time? Scrubbing take forever and I always seem to have a little left in nooks and crannis that are a real pain in the _ _ _ to get clean. I am using 777 pellets for now. When I run out I might switch to something else as the crud seems to be really hard to clean off.

Any suggestions would be great.

I use 777 in one of my Knight Mk85's. I clean my breech plug with Dawn dish washing soap and hot water. I use a small bristle brush and a couple Q-tips.. On one of my other knights (T-bolt) the bolt assembly gets covered by primer residue. I use regular gun cleaning solvent to remove that residue.

I put the breech plug in a 35mm film canister, fill with TC #13 and shake, shake, shake. Let it soak for a while then scrub with pipe cleaners dipped in #13. I use the dipped pipe cleaners for the bolt also. What a pain these things are to clean!

I've got a Knight long range hunter that has the same problem. I ordered some slip 2000 gun cleaner and lubricant, hopefully this stuff works as good as advertised. I'm hoping it will strip the cabon off of the bolt. I did start experimenting with some o-rings on the breach plug which has greatly reduced the buildup. On the NON-FPJ breach plug, I use a small o-ring that fits below the primer inside the breach plug stem. On the FPJ breach plug, I use a little bigger o-ring that fits down on the outside of the breech plug stem where the disc seats. I'm still trying a few different sizes on the o-rings to try and eliminate the buildup.

For many years i've used Windex with vinegar to clean my BP guns. It is now called Windex Multi-Task. My inlines guns are completely cleaned and oiled in no more than 10 minutes.

For cleaning the bolt and breechplug just spray Windex with vinegar on the part and brush the crud off with a toothbrush: No soaking needed.
At the range I use Windex with vinegar to swab the bore between shots. Before leaving the range I run a patch saturated with Windex with vinegar into the bore and leave it wet. Makes bore cleaning easier when I get home.

Many of the the SASS folks use Windex with vinegar to clean their BP guns:

http://www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.3.html

If you're at home and have running water handy, try it. If not (like at a match) my guns are cleaned with a glass cleaner without ammonia and preferably with vinegar. I spray the guns down and run a bore snake through them with lubricant of choice sprayed on the last few inches of the bore snake. A cleaning brush and Windex/Vinegar does the frame. Then I wipe them down with lubricant of choice and put them away. Complete disassembly is rare, especially on the pistols. The Marlin needs it more often. I'll remove the bolt if I'm cleaning the Marlin at home and clean from the chamber end. The Winchester '73 replica has a brass carrier that is susceptible to black tarnishing. I will spray it with Windex/Vinegar and lubricant after shooting to minimize this

Latest posts

Back