GETTING ON TARGET

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilblkgun

Reaction score
I have a t/c grey hawk and when i took it to the range it is shooting about 3-4 inches high at 50yrs. my load was 65grains of 777 with a 240gn xtp with a #11 mag cap. i was aiming dead on and at the end, the rear sight is now bottomed out. i was wondering if i need to file down the rear sight deeper to get the shot to go higher? i would like to up the load to about 85grains of 777 if possible to get alittle more energy at 100yrds which is about as far as i'll be shooting my game at. what's funny is a buddy of mine has the same muzzleloader and is getting dead center hits at 100yds with same bullet with 90grains of RS and 11 caps. thank you for any info you might be able to give me!!

sighted

w/ that height placement at 50 yards you might be on at 100 yards.

no i was about 4-5 high at 100. going again tomorrow and will be back with what happens.thanks.

if those are the stocks sights I would say the problem is you.

here is my guess is that you are holding your rifle different than your friend.

this same thing happened to someone I know, he could not get his to shoot either I could take his rifle and shoot it dead on at 50 yards. give it back to him and he would shoot way to low. come to find out it was the way he was looking at the sights. had a hard time aligning them up right.

put a scope on it and now he can shoot it straight

my T/C greyhawk shoots real high, too. that's with the rear sight completely bottomed out. i have been told that T/C makes a taller front sight that they will send you for free if you call or email them. i did that, and they sent me a sight that doesn't fit the gun (i think it's for the omega). i quit fooling with it at that point

I have a Grey Hawk in .54cal. I love this gun,but I shoot it mostly with a round patched ball. The taller front sight will cure your problems. Since I'm getting up in the years,I ordered the fiber optic sights for my GH. The best money I ever spent on the gun. Mine hits 1/2 inch high at 50yds,and dead on at 100yds. This is with a patched/round ball,and 90grs. T7,with a RWS #11 hot cap. I use this gun to hunt heavy timber,or short range hunting in the woods. Out of a tree stand,from 20 to 100yds,it's a real shooter! :D Ron
FiberopticSights002.jpg

With original sights the GH has roughly 18" of sight radius. If your POI is 5" high at 100 yards with the rear sight bottomed out, you need a front sight .025" taller just to hit point of aim. Another .025" taller gives you 5" of adjustment.

I would look at replacing the front sight with a silver blade and filing to correct height, or replacing with either a "fiber optic" or gold bead.

Marbles makes 1/16" and 3/32" diameter beads in both gold and white. I prefer the 1/16" gold. The dovetail is a "standard 3/8" dovetail", but the Marbles barrel dovetail sight will be the "W" series (narrower are fro on ramps). Brownell's is a good source for the Marbles sights.

I don't know if the FI sights come in various heights or not. I do have one on my GH, but its green, and I prefer it to red.

My GH also has the TC tang peep sight for the GH/NE rifles. It extends the sight radius to roughly 28" so at least 50% longer. The real advantage is in looking through the rear sight. Peep sights are much easier to use for aging eyes, and the eye tends center the front bead autimatically.

excess650 said:
With original sights the GH has roughly 18" of sight radius. If your POI is 5" high at 100 yards with the rear sight bottomed out, you need a front sight .025" taller just to hit point of aim. Another .025" taller gives you 5" of adjustment.

I would look at replacing the front sight with a silver blade and filing to correct height, or replacing with either a "fiber optic" or gold bead.

Marbles makes 1/16" and 3/32" diameter beads in both gold and white. I prefer the 1/16" gold. The dovetail is a "standard 3/8" dovetail", but the Marbles barrel dovetail sight will be the "W" series (narrower are fro on ramps). Brownell's is a good source for the Marbles sights.

I don't know if the FI sights come in various heights or not. I do have one on my GH, but its green, and I prefer it to red.

My GH also has the TC tang peep sight for the GH/NE rifles. It extends the sight radius to roughly 28" so at least 50% longer. The real advantage is in looking through the rear sight. Peep sights are much easier to use for aging eyes, and the eye tends center the front bead autimatically.
Where did you find the rear "tang peep" for the Grey Hawk?

Latest posts

Back