Blackhorn 209 with different Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattledog

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I was shooting the afternoon and ran into an issue.

I have been using winchester w209 primers in my omega x7 with 80 grains of BH209 , green sabot, 300 grain .430 xtp. Well I ran out of w209 primers and can't get them local due to the crazy primer shortage...

I had some 209 CCIM on hand but the primers were sticking in the breach plug and POI was off too compared to the winchesters at 80 grains BH. Further I switched down to 70 grains of BH with the CCIM and POI was a little better but not as good as the w209's.

At 100 yards 80 grains and a w209, I can hit a milk jug free hand with the red dot sight using the W209. I consider the to be my hunting load within 60 to 70 yards using the red dot. With the CCIM I am not real happy using it for a hunting load at 70 grains.

Anyone have any thoughts or know where I can get 100 W209's? Really don't need a 1000 primers and $20 hazmat fee..

Thanks

Did the POI just shift, or did the groups open up also? If it was just a shift of POI with good groups why not just adjust the sight.

Groups opened up to the best of my knowledge. I was shooting cans not paper. The red dot at 100 yards has poor grouping due to the large dot. Something like a 5 moa dot. Fine for hunting where I live, no shots over 60 yards in my neck of the woods.

I am just going to buy the thousand and have enough primers for the next 5 years....

Thanks

In my X7 I have been using the CCI 209Ms with decent accuracy. Since I am pretty new at this I can not yet say what percentage of accuracy is based on my gun/load and what is based on my own skill, or lack thereof.

Have not tried the Winchester w209s, may have to see if they improve my accuracy.

If you can't get the w209s, you might look to see if Remington STS primers are available. In my gun, they shoot BH 209 very well.

Well I stopped by Foxridge outfitters today and they had the W209's in stock. I asked about the CCIM and the man behind the counter stated that TC does not recomend using Magnium primers in the omega's. Just for background, Foxridge outfitters is the customshop for TC. TC's factory is about 300 feet from door to door in Rochester NH.

He stated he knew the the CCIM will expand in the breech plug making it hard to remove. I also asked if I should replace my current breech plug and he said not to worry. Just passing on info.

Latest posts

Back