I did the unthinkable tonight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prostreetcamaro

Reaction score
I have been wanting to try BH209 for some time now. Well last week I picked up a bottle. With a super busy schedule I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Well I realized my 777 was 2 years old and the lid was not on tight and I was about to head out the door hunting. So I cracked open the BH209 and measured up 95 grains and away I went. I know this is a huge no no on many levels. Been having a rough year with not seeing much so I figured it surely wouldn't hurt because I wont see anything anyway.

Hour before dark here comes 2 big doe's. Boom flop 60 yard shot. Hit perfectly where I was aiming. I used to shoot 100 grains 777 and knowing BH209 shoots a bit harder I measured up 95 grains. I must have gotten lucky.

Anyway a quick question. The gun sounded unlike any other BP gun I have ever heard. It did not give off that typical BP sound. The BH209 was very sharp and crisp sounding almost like a rifle. Anybody else notice that?

Well, it's not the recommended procedure camaro, but you can't argue with results. :) Yeah, BlackHorn is a progressive powder and sounds like one.

Underclocked said:
8)

Congrats! Did you get both of them? :wink:

It is funny you ask that because I could have. The second one ran about 20 yards and stopped. I reloaded and she was still there looking around. I was well hidden in some underbrush but decided to not take her. She looked like a yearling.

I got a double last Fall with a quiet reload when I had 2 doe tags. I maybe could of got it another time but didn't feel the need. When all is working well I agree it's a sharp, crisp 'bang' with B209.

Underclocked said:
8)

Congrats! Did you get both of them? :wink:

In Ohio, one must attach the temporary tag to any deer bagged before shooting another one.. (Yeah...right!! You doe wait here til i attach this tag..ha ha )

squirrelhawker said:
In Ohio, one must attach the temporary tag to any deer bagged before shooting another one.. (Yeah...right!! You doe wait here til i attach this tag..ha ha )

Good thing I live in IA, :D

Prostreetcamero - congrats on the hunt! Like semisane mentioned, not recommended but glad it worked out for you.

Yeah-I heard that unmistakable crack too- At the range, but the crack I heard was the scope hitting my shooting glasses! Blackhorn is awesome- there is no other word to describe it. I started at 80 grains at the range (with 300 grain bullets), shooting 3 shot groups and going up 10 grains per group. Every 10 grain increase it felt like the recoil doubled. The last load I shot was 325 grain hornady's over 120 grains of blackhorn- holy moly rocky- that will make your eyes water! Shot 6 groups of those- 2 moa average once I got the scope zeroed. Will use this load for minnesota rifle opener next weekend.

Last Fall my partner cut his brow when he touched off 120 grns of B209. Just the other day I was shooting B209 & had the scope press my brow on one of the 1st shots, no blood. It's a reminder for me to pay attention.

Back