range report!!! woo hoo!!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsefly

Reaction score
ok as you can tell i'm prety happy about this but first i want to say thank you yo cayuga, sabbotloader, blackpowder and everyone else that has helped me to this point and answered my questions. thank you guys. ok here is the step by step detail. the gun.. traditions lt 50 cal./209 scoped. the first load i tried was theese
100_2840.jpg

well at 50 yards they hit 5 feet above center with 80gr. mesured of blackhorn on the first shot so i cleaned the barrel fully(did this after every shot today) and same thing two more times and they were hard to go down the barrel. ok so then after the third shot to the same place i moved back to 25 yards and dailed down the elevation (gun is new and was not bore sighted) first shot on paper low right then second then third one on top of the other!! but i changed to my hornaday xtp 300gr. .452 with a harvester crush rib and 80 grs of black horn and shot that group with that load. the one above the group i will explain next.
100_2843.jpg

ok the one with the number one above the group is when i started to move my scope adjustment but i brain farted and was making a 100 yard adjustment and not comping for the 25 yard mark so the shots with the astrick around them and that one are scope movement shots. then the next group is in the bull with the same load.
100_2844.jpg

and here is the full target
100_2842.jpg

the one shot that is not marked in the bottom right of the target was my buddy being a smart ass and shooting my target and then sayin wow how did you drop that one so far?

well so far i'm super happy with the setup and load i'm gonna stick with the 300gr. with the crush ribs and pass those other ones i posted. next trip i will go out to 50 yards. now i wanted to be sighted for 75 but i only have 25 50 and 100 so should i just sight for 100 and see where i'm hitting at 50 then or should i sight for 50 and see where i'm hitting at 100?
most of my shots will be 50-75 most of the time and from a stand. so what do you guys think. but overall i'm very happy with this gun the trigger is alot heavier than i'm used too but i can make it work. thanks again guys.

sight

I would try 2/3 round shots at 50 for group/pattern size to insure the group is still there than take ti 100. That is nice shooting and it looks like your gun likes what your feeding it!

Usualy 25 yards and 100 yards is almost identical copy.just have to fine tune your 100 yards shooting.
If you look in your manual ,they show that the trajectory from the barrel is -1.5 then 25 yards is zero, 50 yards about 2" and 100 should be close to Zero.That balistic is with a 250 SST Hornady.
Taureau noir

horsefly

Congrats! It is always nice to get on paper and you got on very well - congrats again...

next trip i will go out to 50 yards. now i wanted to be sighted for 75 but i only have 25 50 and 100 so should i just sight for 100 and see where i'm hitting at 50 then or should i sight for 50 and see where i'm hitting at 100?

When you are really happy with your results @ 25 and you are consistent @ 25 then move to 50 and get a patterned group dead center 1 1/2" to 2" over the bull. Work @ 50 again until you are consistent. I would then move to 100 and do the same work again - except here the patternshould be right near the top of the bull.

most of my shots will be 50-75 most of the time and from a stand. so what do you guys think. but overall i'm very happy with this gun the trigger is alot heavier than i'm used too but i can make it work. thanks again guys.

If you get all of that worked out you will not have to fiddle with the gun for a 50/75 yard shot. You should shoot those distances just to verify but think you will be happy with what you have....

It looks like you have a good shooting rifle there.

Looks and sounds like you're now "hooked" on MZ. :D

Enjoy you're new rifle !

Back