Suggestions please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweesdad

Reaction score
It appears that I have just come into a good bit of money from an uncle's estate. The one thing I have always wanted to do is hunt Africa with a muzzleloader. It now looks like I will be able to do this within the next year or so. So, I need some suggestions from folks that have more experience than I do, when it comes to big bore muzzleloaders.
I am going to be using my .58 Renegade, but need advice as to the bullet and charge.
I assume that heavier is better, so I am leaning toward the T/C 555 gr. Maxi-Ball. They list a maximum charge of 120 gr. FFG for this bullet, with a MV of 1331 fps.
I have no doubt that this will kill anything I ever will take a shot at, but I am not sure of its ability to stop a charge, should one occur. The largest game I will be hunting is the Cape Buffalo, and if possible will try for a Lion. There will be a PH standing alongside in case I screw up, but I would much rather be able to "do it myself". The charge I refered to is in case we are spotted before I take a shot. There is no way I would be able to reload in time to stop a charge after a shot has been taken, so this has to be either animal down with one shot, or the PH will have to save my neck.
Any suggestions as to bullets or powder charges will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all.
Any suggestions of a more

That sounds really exciting. The main thing is of course accuracy of the load. Its easy to say, this bullet and this charge but if that can't hit squat its of no value. Especially on large dangerous animals.

Were it me in your shoes, I would be using a White Model 97 Ultra Mag shooting 120 grains of powder and a 460 or 500 grain conical bullet. They shoot them very accurate, have been proven on the plains of Africa harvesting just such game, and are able to do it at some distance from the game as well. Doc White on his web site likes to talk about his Africian hunts.

Of course try the Renegade. I found with large conicals in the 1-48 twist, if you push them too hard the accuracy goes out the window. Perhaps yours will do better then my rifles..

Good luck with this hunt. It sounds like the hunt of a life time.

Powerbelt has the Steel tipped african big game bullet. Pricey but that would be awesome to see the damage they do.

frontier gander said:
Powerbelt has the Steel tipped african big game bullet. Pricey but that would be awesome to see the damage they do.

Do they make them in .58 caliber? WOW that must be a chunk of lead.

Bigger problem

OK, so now I have started to research the details of the hunt.
It appears that our friends on the African Continent have a problem with black powder. I have been advised that it is going to be very expensive and extremely hard to find. Cannot get any info at all relative to pyrodex. To add to this, all the airlines consider either one to be an explosive which is not permitted on an aircraft.
I had to get in touch with the family atty., who is going to see what hoops I am going to have to jump through to be able to do this hunt. Another unexpected expense. As of now, thiings are not looking too good.
Anyone have any experience with these problems? Can anyone help?
Thanks

ML in Africa

You might read Shockey stuff as he has hunted BP in Africa. Big 6x6 has good suggestion on supply over there. I would be taking a double rifle to shoot dangerous game.

I think October Country still produces an 8 bore round ball gun - although it would cost a couple of g's - what a way to go on Safari - and of course we'd all bow our heads when you posted a picture of it in this forum.... :)

And the fun continues

Hi
So to bore you all a bit more, here is where it now stands.
I have been in touch with a few outfitters in various countries in Africa.
I now know what a dog feels like the first time it sees one of those agility courses. You have to wonder where to begin, and if all the hoops, jumps, zig-zags, ramps and tunnels are really worth all the work.
One outfitter very politely suggested that I might want to get my will in order before I got there. Another said that a visit to a psychiatrist might not be a bad idea. However, I have located a PH in South Africa who is willing guide the hunt and to try to locate and purchase powder and primers.
There is a muzzleloading society in S.A. that will know where to get the powder etc. Lord only knows the cost.
So, things are looking up, but nothing is really resolved as yet. I have decided that if I have to continue jumping through all the hoops, I will simply change plans and book a hunt to Kodiak Island for Bear. This is also something that I have always loved, and I can easily get anything I want in Anchorage.
So, unless I get a reply to "shut up already", I will continue to keep you posted.

The Hunt

Heck no, this is getting good. If you have the money, do Afrika and jump threw the hoops. Send that gun over in peiices and leave it there if you have to. What a great opportunity How long were you figuring on Safari?

Re: The Hunt

Bucker said:
Heck no, this is getting good. If you have the money, do Afrika and jump threw the hoops. Send that gun over in peiices and leave it there if you have to. What a great opportunity How long were you figuring on Safari?

Somewhere between 10 and 21 days. Depending on what I decide to go for.
Am still waiting for response from guy in Tanzania. If he comes through, then Buff and Lion are still in the picture, so 21 days. If not, plains game only 10 days.

Further info from P.H.

Just received an e-mail form a P.H. I am thinking of using. He tells me that with my "South Africa Firearms Import Permit", issued at the arrival airport, used as identification, I will be able to buy black powder over there. He estimates that the cost will be about 20% higher than in the States.
Things are looking up. However, hunting South Africa just about eliminates Buff and Lion from the list.
To be totally honest, I am somewhat shocked that the cost of a hunt including Buff and Lion could easily run into the $50K range. Much more than I am willing to spend. Figuring a 21 day hint in Tanzania for Buff, Lion, and sundry plains game, this is just about what it will total. This includes trophy fees, but doesn't include taxidermy, shipping, etc..
By modifying my plans, I will still be able to hunt Africa, and still be able to help provide for my grandson's college tuition. Seem like the more intelligent way of spending some of the money.

Latest posts

Back