TC Scout .50 Cal Pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
Here is my TC Scout Pistol in .50 Cal, This is another Gun I really need to get back out with and work up a Good load for, These Scouts are built like a HURRICANE! I have 2 Rifles as well, a .50 and a .54 Cal, REALLY Cool Little Guns! The Rifles kinda remind me of of the Old Win 94 30-30s, the way they look, the Size of them, and the way they Handle

I traded a 12 Gauge TC New Englander Barrel for this Scout Pistol, This Pistol was shot very little, in fact it looked Brand new inside and out. I have only shot this thing 2 times that i can remember? I tried some Sabots with 180 or 200 Grain Hornady XTP Pistol bullets, and some of my Custom 450 Grain Paper Patch Bullets. I don’t remember what kind of accuracy i got with either? Like I said i need to get this thing back out with a Few of my Lighter 400 Grain .50 Cal Grease Groove design Bullets and Work up a Load in it. I do remember that Recoil was STOUT with the 450 Grain bullets and 70-80 Grains of Swiss 2F :D 

Anyway, thought i would Share it on here, these are pretty neat Guns :ttups:

afDfULZl.jpg

dDnsPxol.jpg

a4Oietrl.jpg

Bought one of them several years ago .Had a guy offer me about 3 times what I paid for it before I even got to try it out ,wish i would have kept it now its one of the few i let get away from me.

I have two Scouts, a wood stocked .50 carbine and a synthetic stocked .50 rifle. I've taken deer with both. Never managed to find a deal on one of the pistols or I'd probably have one of those as well.

BPS

Blackpowdersmoke said:
I have two Scouts, a wood stocked .50 carbine and a synthetic stocked .50 rifle. I've taken deer with both. Never managed to find a deal on one of the pistols or I'd probably have one of those as well.

BPS
I need to get this Pistol back out and Shoot it! Along with the 2 Rifles, They are really neat little Guns, and Built FAR BEYOND Stout :Red tup:

I'm not able to give you any input on loads or projectiles for your Scout pistol even though I've owned one for at least 15 or 20 years. I've never shot it and the guy I bought it from said it had never been fired. I also have a .54 cal rifle and .54 carbine.
I'm interested in that same information especially for my carbine. I'm sure I should ask this question in the black powder rifle section, but when I discovered the "Scout talk" here, I didn't want to pass up the chance to connect with other TC Scout owners, they are hard to find.

Attachments

• TC Scout 50 Cal Pistol resized.JPG
    TC Scout 50 Cal Pistol resized.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 3
I'm not able to give you any input on loads or projectiles for your Scout pistol even though I've owned one for at least 15 or 20 years. I've never shot it and the guy I bought it from said it had never been fired. I also have a .54 cal rifle and .54 carbine.
I'm interested in that same information especially for my carbine. I'm sure I should ask this question in the black powder rifle section, but when I discovered the "Scout talk" here, I didn't want to pass up the chance to connect with other TC Scout owners, they are hard to find.
These look like my original Tingle 3 dgt ser# I sold this past summer..Club members said it was direct ign while they are shooting Rugers? Anyway it took too long to load with everyone else shooting revolvers. Dumb a____ reason to sell. Out

Had 50 cal pistol, head shoot rabbits to 38 yards. Stolen in 2016, sure miss it.
40 grains fff GOEX powder and round ball

just wondering if your peep sight covers up the vent hole? I sold two of mine (rifle and a pistol) at the Tulsa gun show few months ago. Use same loads per cal. as you would any other ML. One of the first in-lines, a little harder to clean is all, as the breach doesn't come out like many modern in-lines, and cleaning out that long small hole from the nipple takes a little more time. I really liked the feel of the rifle but didn't want/need the anymore. Good luck and good shooting!

Those are two nice rigs you got there. I messed with the carbine a little. One of my buddies I shot muzzleloaders with came over with one and I always took smoke poles for my friends, cleaned them, took them to the range and sited them in and found the best load for them.
I had one of the pistols and shot is some. Very accurate with tight patch roundball and 30 grains of 3F Goex powder. I only shot targets with it. I used the 490 cast round ball, .010 patch and some patch lube called Blue & Gray. Got it back in the 70's in 6 oz. containers. I got it for my Musket but it worked great on the pistol also.
I always like the Scout pistols because they felt and handled like my Ruger Old Army and Ruger Blackhawks.
It should be a good shooter.
Again, nice TC's .

Mike

I have 2 scout pistols and 3 rifles in 50 and 54 cal all brass with wood stocks. They are excellent. Would buy more if priced reasonable
Missouri Smoke Pole

Shooting a match yesterday and a fellow beat me using one of those. With a 50 as a possible score, I shot a 47-2x and he shot a 48-2x. Considering I was shooting a traditional pistol and he was using a zip gun...I didn't feel too bad about it.

Last edited:
If 50 was the highest possible score how can you shoot a 57 or 58.?
What do you mean a zip gun. It is a mu zzle loader. Originals like the T/C Scout were made over 200 years ago.
Its a DIRECT IGNITION. A muzzle loading revolver also had a direct ignition.

Just hit the wrong keys a couple of times. To each his own...I just don't relate to the newer styles of stuff like inlines. I like the original designs only. No offense meant...you are free to use modern stuff if that makes you happy.

Mosy of my competition handguns are side hammer. They are all good shooters, no matter the type of ignition.

I'm a traditionalist and prefer the lock to be on the outside of the breech. But I'll give you this; those trappers have an exceptionally high COOL index. Never would I turn one down.

I like them all regardless of where the lock is found.
patriot.JPG
But I do have an appreciation for the authenticity of the mechanism!

I also have a trapper style pistol.
An 8 inch green mtn barrel .45 cal
L/R lock
Davis single set trigger
Pecatonica river stock
Won several matches with it in Missouri and Arkamsas and a few in Oklahoma.

I've seen some of those Trappers that actually shot very well. The same for the Lyman pistols. I own mostly Pedersoli's and custom pistols but sometimes they have to bow to the less expensive models out there.

Latest posts

Back