Crockett 32 Rifle HELP!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbrian

Reaction score
I really thought that I could figure these patch and ball shooters out pretty quick. I mean, after all, my first range session was pretty good with 30 gr Triple Seven and .015 wonderlubed patches and .315 balls. But NOT on the next range session! It sprayed them into a 3 to 4 inch pattern. So I start changing stuff...and ordering stuff..... Oiled patches (.015), wonder lubed patches (.010 and .015), moose not patches (.018)
Anyway... I need to get my act together and try to learn something of load development because what I thought I knew....ain't working. I was feeling mighty swell about myself when I punced three holes together (5/8") a few days ago, but was unable to repeat it today! I know it's not the rifles fault! It's mine. I guess I can start using the search feature and start at square one. Squirrel season opens in about two and a half weeks. I'd like to shoot a few...not just shoot AT a few.
By the way, what is a good rule of thum about ball and patch fit? Tight as possible? Is using a dry patch under the ball a good idea as long as the patch is not burning thru? Thanks guys. Just a little frustrated.

Kev, some key things about shooting patch and ball is...

1. Try to keep the bore condition the same from shot to shot. Try wiping between shots with a moist (not dripping wet) patch to see if it helps.
2. Use the tightest patch/ball combo you can find WITHOUT deforming the balls by having to pound them down the bore.
3. Try to keep the amount of lube on the patches as consistent as possible from patch to patch.
4. If your molding your own balls, make sure you try to center the sprue everytime.

The main thing I would focus on first would be finding the right patch thickness. Try going to a fabric shop and look through the remnants section, take a micrometer if you have one or a set of calipers. Take a compressed measurement of the fabric you already have on hand then try to find some fabrics that are only slighty thicker when compressed. If your patching is .007 when compressed and loads easy giving you a 3-4 inch group, find some that compresses to .008 and .009, try them and see what happens.
By compressed think of your ball squeezed into the bore of tyour rifle, that patch is going to compress some...and you will be suprised at how much of a difference only .001 or .002 will make in your grouping.
On the other hand, just a difference off .001 or .002 too tight can give you a hard to load rifle, experiment. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

PS....try some good old fashioned BLACKPOWDER in that shootin iron too. Could be that your gun just dont like T7. I have seen guns that wouldnt shoot BP substitutes worth a plug nickle, but drop some real blackpowder down the tube and they shot like a different gun.

Thank you kindly guys! That is some great info and I'm gonna start being more mindful of consistency. I'm going to go do little more shooting 'fore the rain gets here.

I have only shot fffg Wano blackpowder in my Crockett. I started out using 25gr and then went up to 30gr where it really seemed like it liked that best. I am using .310 RB and a 0.015 Wonder patch. So far it shoots great.

I went out this morning with a clean gun. I set my target at 25 yards after drawing a 1 inch circle on a piece of typing paper. Loaded with 30 gr of triple 7 fffg, .315 ball and .015 wonderlubed patch. I wiped all excess wonderlube of patches before I used them. The fouling shot barely hit outside the circle. The rest of 7 shots shot either inside the circle or hit the circle itself. I declare this rifle ready for May 9 spring squirrel season. Thanks for everyones replies. The other day, I was committing another no-no that I had forgotten about. I was shooting with a hot barrel after a few shots. My groups spread and I began panicing trying this different....trying that different. Anyway, she's ready now.

I never could hit those tree rats with my .32 Cherokee, open sights I guess and it was dead on at 25 yds. :roll: I get my limit now with a White ML shotgun,,,they can run, but they can't get away!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back