TC Hawken Flintlock Problems.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardcutter

Reaction score
I am having trouble with a Thompson Center Flintlock hawken eating flints. I would love to find a new model hammer for the lock if anyone has a source for them. If not does anyone have information on how to alter the geometry of the hammer. Any info would be appreciated.

The RPL locks are not "drop-ins". they require substantial wood removal from the lock mortise, and some re-shaping of the lock plate. If you are not good with wood working tools, I would suggest you get someone that knows what they are doing to fit the lock to your gun. As an alternative, and cheaper route, you might swap out the cock (hammer) with one from a Lyman Great Plains rifle. The geometry is much better than the original T/C hammers, and just might make the difference for you. I was lucky enough to find one of the Improved T/C hammers a few years ago on Ebay, and it did make a big difference in flint life and spark.

Back