BH209 and Black Diamonds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let me state I already know that BH209 is designed to be lit with 209's.But I am curious...My Black Diamond XR can use both regular nipples and T/C's Flame Throwers.I LIKE musket caps and as the powder lies right up against the nipple base, with no real distance to travel ( espicially with the regular length nipples) I wonder if a musket cap would light BH209.I could put the 209 module in my BD, but one thing that always bothered me about those things is the gap between a seated 209 and the inner face of the module.You can get alot of moisture in there. I'm just curious at this point.I'm very happy shooting Swiss black and Triple 7, but variety is the spice of life...Anybody try it?

Make sure to wear your safety glasses if you try it. I think I remember that cayugad got a piece of primer stuck in hes forehead.
Art

I was using Winchester 209 primers and tried the Black Diamond XR with BlackHorn 209. The rifle did shoot it off, and it shot real well. BUT the primers were exploding back at me. I dug a nice chunk out of my forehead, and cheek. I thin with a musket cap it could be even worse.

If you have to try it, get some safety glasses please. I'd hate to have a chunk of primer or cap come back in your face.

I have shot over 600 rounds of Black Horn 209 through 2 Black Diamond rifles that I have. I have drilled out the 209 nipple to .034. Since I have done this, the following things started to happen: 1. No more blown or deformed primers 2. No hang fires 3. no swabing between shots or during a firing range session 4. little easier to clean rifles 5. small groups during the whole firing range session 6. more confidence between me and my rifles.

I experimented back to the standard 209 nipple and went back to the same results: blown primers, deformed primes, no fire and hang fires. Why drilling out the primer hole slightly larger makes a big difference in preformance and safety, I have my views, but then I am not an engineer.

You should always wear safety glasses when shooting the Black Diamond muzzlerlaoder rifle with what every type of powder you are using. The Black Diamond is an excellent shooting rifle but its open breech design has its faults also.

NOTE: I have no reason to shoot over 250 grain bullet or over 100 yards while hunting Wisconsin Whitetail Deer or for target shoot. My primers are Remington STS, Harvester Crush Ribs, 45 - XPT or Gold Dot bullets, I pre-weigh all powder charges with a reloader scale and do not use a volume measurer (using differnet numbers). 90gr. vol. is my standard load for my Black Diamond XL (26" barrel) and 80gr. vol is my standard load for my standard Black Diamond (22.5" barrel)

Thanks for the feedback.I do always wear glasses, in fact my regular specs are safety glass. Like I said , I'm curious. I think it wise to have a large number of options for loads in this day and age...I'd be more than happy to stay with Swiss black or Triple 7. Neither has been found lacking in any task I've applied them to.

Latest posts

Back