meed info on a cva eclipse

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leserz

Reaction score
i just bought a used cva eclipse serial number ending in 98 so i guess not a recall issue . in cva web site i see no manual for the eclipse. so any one have a extra one laying around i can get ? whats the max power load for it 100? cant get out the breech plug out i don't have the tool to do it.bore don't look real bad from what little i can see. have a trick to remove the plug with out the tool ?it came with a tasco 3x32 pronghorn scope thats Gold that sure is going to change color soon but for $60.00 for every thing not going to fret it lol any one have some feed back on this rifle ?

I had a Knight that I didn't have a bp wrench for so I took a long shafted screw driver that would just fit in between the cap nipple and breach plug. It worked until I got the correct wrench. Is it 209 or cap? Can you post a pic and then maybe someone might be able to give you an idea. Good luck!

leserz after the previous post I just went ahead and Googled the CVA Eclipse and there are several places that you might find some info. Good luck!

it uses caps #11 the tool to remove the breech plug i just ordered one from CVA yesterday. you must have had better luck than me on google guess i need to look some more lol

If you download the Buckhorn Magnum manual you will see that it is very close to what the Eclipse is. I have a Staghorn Magnum which is the model after the eclipse.

The max load is 150 grains of 2f powder in pellet form according to the book. In loose powder it is 100 grains. Try 90 grains and I think you will be real happy with the results. Try some 250 grain shockwaves, 250 grain XTPs, and some 300 grain. Also they normally shot powerbelts real well.

As for getting the breech plug out, a very long standard screw drive can reach in there normally. Go to CVA and ask them if they have a breech plug tool for the rifle. Even if you have to buy it, it is one of the best breech plug tools around. I use it on a lot of other rifles besides the Staghorn.

mine is not a magnum i don't think. don't say magnum on it any place. i have triple 7 loose powder now . i have a box of cva deer slayer bullets now 300 grains . don't have any sabot loads but could get some.

2000+ is Magnum rated.

1998 would be 100gr max.

Your best bet is to call CVA and ask them what you need to know.

Frontier Gander makes a good point. Since your rifle is not magnum rated, I would never go over 100 grains of powder with it. Does your rifle ignite with a #11 cap or 209 primer?

That is an old one probably. Yes limit the powder to 100 grains of loose powder. And no pellets. The ignition will be fine. And I think the accuracy of that rifle will surprise you.

in my knight i don't think i ever used more than 85 grains loose powder

cayuga said:
Frontier Gander makes a good point. Since your rifle is not magnum rated, I would never go over 100 grains of powder with it. Does your rifle ignite with a #11 cap or 209 primer?

I have a 2002 Eclipse that is a "magnum". 100 grains of loose powder is the max for my Eclipse. However, I can use 150 grains of Pyrodex pellets according to the owner's manual.

i got mt take down tool from cva bought some #11 caps well i dont hace a #11 nipple did not pay much attention to it so must use musket caps. bet thats not going to be easy where i live with out driving long ways . i did get the bore cleaned up pretty good.even put my ugly gold tasco scope back on for now. going to take to the range this week. might need to put on a #11 nipple to shoot it

Latest posts

Back