Trouble shoot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Mike

Reaction score
I just returned from the range and had this problem. I was shooting a
CVA Optima Pro,
.50 cal, 100 grains of BH
250 gr Barnes Red Hot
Winchester 209 primers
After about 20 rounds a charge failed to ignite. The primer was struck and when I pushed out the load unurned powder fell out. I reloaded with the same result. The breech plug was brand new. When I took it out I could daylight through it. I then changed to a clean breech plug with no problems.
What happened? If it was a dirty breech plug why could I still see through it.

Another question, I was told by another shooter that the point of impact can change just by leaving the ramrod in the thimble versus taking it out. I really saw no difference between the point of impact at 100 and 125 yards. Any thoughts?

dirty plug. Ithink they say after 10-15 rounds you need to use a small drill bit to cut out all of the carbon build up in the primer area.

I didn't realize this for a long time, but there is actually a much bigger flame channel in the rear of a breech plug in front of the primer pocket. The pinhole at the front of the breechplug is actually very short and serves to focus the charge and increase its pressure. So, after 20 shots, there is still pinhole that you can see through, but the rear big channel that allows the flame to go forward is plugged, and most of the blast from the primer ends up going rearward (what people call blowback). That is why your primer got "stuck". the crud from the primer had to go rearward instead of forward and it "cruded" up the area around the primer and made it stick.

So, as stated above, take a 1/8 inch drill bit and from the rear (where you insert the primer) drill out the channel. You will be surprised how far it actually goes and how much crud comes out of there. That will fix your problem.

Another question, I was told by another shooter that the point of impact can change just by leaving the ramrod in the thimble versus taking it out.

This happens with some older CVA bolt action guns. That is because of the flimsy stocks on those guns.

1/8" is too big on a CVA. Theirs take a 3mm I believe. Just use something smaller and work your way up as close as you can get. A 3/32" does a pretty good job on their plugs.

Underclocked said:
1/8" is too big on a CVA. Theirs take a 3mm I believe. Just use something smaller and work your way up as close as you can get. A 3/32" does a pretty good job on their plugs.

My Accura accepts a 7/64" drill, so that is what i use. My Omega, naturally, accepts the commonly used 1/8" drill.

frontier gander said:
dirty plug. Ithink they say after 10-15 rounds you need to use a small drill bit to cut out all of the carbon build up in the primer area.

+1

thats the problem with using 209 primers ,no matter what powder you are using . The carbon will block the flame from hitting the powder . With my encore flame would come out the side of my BP after 15 shots and looked like this . Thats why i went to 777 and a .25 acp conversion . :D Never had a hang fire or miss fire , but after i had flames coming out the side i would hang it up and stopped shooting , go home and clean the BP.

blowbackDSCN0154.jpg

When you swab with a damp patch, pull the ramrod out really quickly. You will here an audible "POP"!. The vaccuum you created with this quick action will clear the flash hole. Then snap a primer. Viola - clear.

Just Mike,

Use the drill bit to "Clean" out the flash channel like the other guys said. BUT, do not use an electric Drill to do it. Just use the bit and some Elbow Grease! :wink: You are just trying to Clean out the carbon build up, not actually open up the hole in the plug, and you will be good to go.

ShawnT

Latest posts

Back