Teflon Tape on Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heiner39

Reaction score
Hey guys...I'm heading out to get some accessories for my new ML. I've read that a bunch of guys are using teflon tape on the breech plugs. I have a few roles of the white stuff kicking around in my garage. I keep hearing guys refer to "pink" teflon tape. Is there a difference between the pink stuff and the white stuff other than the obvious?

Pink is often thicker and stronger, recommended for larger pipes. Yellow is recommended for gas pipes and is sometimes thicker yet.

White will work, but not as well as pink in most situations. It depends upon tightness of fit of your particular breech plug.

Stick to Oatey brand if you can find it... seems to be considerable inconsistency among the others.

Thanks underclocked....man there are so many things to learn here...glad I found this site! I definitely have a roll of white in the garage and even found a roll of yellow. I'll tour around and see if I can find some pink.

Yellow worked well.

I purchased yellow instead of white. No Pink available and it seemed to work well on a brand new Pursuit XLT.

We had other problems I will explain in another thread!

Looks to me like using the tape is a great tip, whatever color. The only thing I noticed, is that when you over-wrap the thread with the tape, expect to see some when clean it, or after a shot. It looks like alien goo and not like teflon tape at that point. Don't be scared!

Kestrel

Usually but not always Yellow tape is to thick to go on smoothly..

I normally use pink or white - depending on how tigh the BP is in the trheads of the breech....

BreechPlugSealing.jpg

BreechPlug.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

I have some white teflon tape that I thought about trying. How often do you change the tape? What's the easiest way to remove the used tape?

I tried using the pink tape and wow is the breach plug tight going back in. I can't even use my fingers to insert it and twist it back in....I have to use the breach removal tool. Would that suggest that the pink is too thick and that I should be using the white?

Probably. Did you have to really bear down on the tool or did it simply require the tool rather than fingers? Your plug is likely closer tolerance than most.

The tape gets changed each time you take the plug out. A wire bristled cleaning brush will lift the tape from the threads and allow you to unwrap a lot of it. Lingering small pieces might require a bit more brushing but it isn't a big deal.

I didn't really have to bear down on the tool but it was pretty snug going in. I was worried that I was cross-threading it so I backed it out and looked at it and it looked fine. I guess I just have a tight fitting breech plug. I guess I was expecting to turn it in by hand most of the way and use the tool to snug up....not so much. Had to use the tool all the way thru. The scope was a pain and got in the way but I'll get used to it I'm sure.

Just to clarify to a newbie, using the teflon tape, I won't have to grease the barrel threads? How many shots can be had before the tape needs to be changed? Is clean up and removal easier than grease? I haven't even shot my rifle yet (bought it 4 days ago) so I want to get started off on the right foot. It's a Knight KRB7 .50cal

I like the tape but often put a light smear of good grease on just the forward threads (over the tape).

Shoot until you are done for the day. As always, it's better to break the plug free while the barrel is still warm from shooting but I've yet to have one stick while using the tape.

Yes, you will still need to clean the interior threads as well as the plug threads. A twist with a cleaning brush should loosen any residuals from the tape, and run the brush across the plug threads to lift tape residuals then just unwind what's left.

Back