How Much Powder to Start?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter8282

Reaction score
Finally got the bore of the Optima all cleaned out of the shipping grease. Tried a Barnes Expander MZ that I bought and was able to push it down the bore with nice even solid pressure. Nothing excessive like a lot of reviews stated. Just started it with my Powerbelt Starter and was able to nice and evenly slide it down the bore.

I also got the sample pack of Thors and I had to push the .500 down so I don't think I'll try the others. Probably going to stick with the MZs.

So, onto powder... Shooting the 250gr MZs, where should I start at with my powder? 90gr and then work my way up in 5 grain increments? I have the TC -Uview powder measure and will be shooting BH209. I just set the measure to 90 (or whatever) and filler up right?

Got to get the scope mounted and then be off for my first range trip!
Thanks!

100 grains of BH209 works just fine with my Optima and the 250 gr Barnes Expander. Very accurate in my rifle. I use Winchester 209 primers.

starting at 90 grains is a great idea. See what the bullet will do. If the group is tight, then up it to 100 grains and see what changed. Keep us posted.

Whichever one groups the best. That 250 MZ will function great on game with either amount but...if it were me i would try 100gr first. :D

When 1st zeroing a scope I start light with lower budget projectiles. For me that's about 80 grns of powder & a home cast handgun bullet in a sabot. Once I get things close I move the charge up & switch over to the projectiles I'll use for final tuning. With B209 I end up near 115 grains in my Knight 50 cal with a 250 grn SST.

Latest posts

Back