Bellm's thoughts on CVA muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
I bet i know who he's talking about at the end !!! LOL I would buy a CVA even if they did not have a Bergara barrel . I feel i have all the wrinkles out of my TC Encore now, but not sure if i could re-frame from getting the CVA Apex . I better not handle one !!

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=561

mike

He has chosen to sell CVA as the 'now' greatest ML on the market is somewhat disconcerting to me. I kinda liked having a TC expert sending me info I could use and was the best at the product and his craft on that product. I watched this evolution of his love for CVA, and for sure he sounds like he put in the shooting time on the CVA, he was brought in as a consultant on it as well. Is this sour grapes because of his rather vocal stance on TC, and them having no response to him? CVA sees the opportunity and jumps on it both feet. What's that other guy who jumped ships based on the $$ involved? Again I respect Mike and his ability and honesty about TC products, he saved many a frsutrating day on the range and put a lot of smiles on peoples faces who own TC products. I am not bashing CVA as I own one and love it, I am just thinking/writing out loud. Or maybe I'm getting old and change is harder when you get old who knows. :?:

Re: mike

Bucker said:
He has chosen to sell CVA as the 'now' greatest ML on the market is somewhat disconcerting to me. I kinda liked having a TC expert sending me info I could use and was the best at the product and his craft on that product. I watched this evolution of his love for CVA, and for sure he sounds like he put in the shooting time on the CVA, he was brought in as a consultant on it as well. Is this sour grapes because of his rather vocal stance on TC, and them having no response to him? CVA sees the opportunity and jumps on it both feet. What's that other guy who jumped ships based on the $$ involved? Again I respect Mike and his ability and honesty about TC products, he saved many a frsutrating day on the range and put a lot of smiles on peoples faces who own TC products. I am not bashing CVA as I own one and love it, I am just thinking/writing out loud. Or maybe I'm getting old and change is harder when you get old who knows. :?:

In ALMOST all cases ...the answer will be "MONEY" $$....now whats your friggin question!! :lol:

"Bergara uses the same centerfire barrel steels to make their muzzle loader barrels."

And thats all i got to say bout that 8)

I have a TC encore and have shot and owned both Traditions and CVA , SORRY but my honest opinion is , I am not convinced that TC makes a better gun . I DON"T feel my Encore is worth what i paid for it . Now my sons Omega is worth what i paid , $ 109.00 at wal Mart Close out .LOL SO he also may be giving his honest opinion . :shock: :shock: Can you imagine that !! :wink:

Underclocked said:
It COULD be the man is simply giving his honest opinion.

With Knight gone there is plenty of market share for both CVA and T/C. CVA has spent agreat deal of money improving their products which shows shooters spending the money for T/C rifles indicates that quality sells and shooters will "PAY" to get it.

Chocdog

Hi
This is just my opinion but even though this guy that makes custom barrels is helping it still dosen't mean they are making barrels that would pass the test American barrels go through in order to see what kind of strain they can handle. I heard and I can be wrong but that is one of the things wrong. They don't have anyone testing the strength of thier barrels. If that is true than they still are not barrels that can be trusted no matter who backs them. So for me until it is proven that their barrels are safe I wouldn't buy one. This is my opinion.

I have a feeling, that once the Apex line gets going, It will take over the Encore/Bone Collector/Endevor market. Bergara barrels was the wisest choice CVA has made so far 8) :wink:

lane said:
I have a feeling, that once the Apex line gets going, It will take over the Encore/Bone Collector/Endevor market. Bergara barrels was the wisest choice CVA has made so far 8) :wink:

I agree with ya 100 !!!

Don't get me wrong . i l ove my Encore now that i got a bunch of bugs worked out . Sloppy stock and forearm fittings , Very Very loose Lock up . New Bellm spring and 1x hinge pin did the trick with all the slop/play bewteen the barrel and receiver . The 1x hinge pin slipped right on in and removed all the play . In tried one of the locking hinge pins ( wasted 50.00 bucks ) and it was worse . The holes in the receiver and barrel were way too big for the stock hinge pin or locking hinge pin . Al's sporting Goods here in town has a Encore and a Pro hunter that are very very sloppy when closed . you can see and feel movement between the barren and receiver when locked up , If you SLAM them close very very hard , then there is none . for 500 and 700 $$$ guns they should not do that . Neither my 200,00 Traditions pursuit pro or my sons 78.00 (wal mart close out) VCA optima did that . The one reason i really like the Omega is there is NO hinge pin to have issues with and is as good as a bolt action but easier to clean. I think it is the best designed Muzzy going .IMO . And at a great price also .

:D

I wish they would do something interesting on there own instead of copying TC all the time. Lee

weren't there break opens LOOONG before tc ever came out with one?

Same thing can be said with TC.... "Hawken"

When it came down for me to buy a muzzle loader, I decided that the magician was just that: An entertainer. I bought the Accura, and love it.

What I like about this referenced article was someone finally putting SCIENCE to the gun. And he points out some very interesting results in his comparisons.

My blunt point: SHOW ME THE TESTS magic man.... as in metal hardness, and/or a proof series of shots. In the absence of REAL test data, then it is just speculation. Magic man has had years to go to the University of Illinois, etc and get the engineering department to conduct and certify REAL DATA. He has not, as he KNOWS that the data will prove him wrong. Are more people hurt with CVA's than other brands? In perspective: They appear to sell far more than any other brand, so they should have a greater number of accidents. It's simple statistics at this point!

Thanks for the post! Be safe guys, and enjoy the journey!

A few years ago i bought a muzzleloading Encore with the intention of adding several center-fire barrels. i did just that. Had all kinds of problems with misfires, headspace, hinge pins, thimbles that fell off and lockup. Ended up selling most of my centerfire barrels and using their Leupold and Zeiss scopes to upgrade my bolt action guns. Quality assurance at TC is apparently very lax or non-existent.

It amazes me that my 60 year old Winchester model 37 single shot shotgun locks up tight with no side play. Despite all the modifications, my expensive TC Encore still has side play when locked up. Have handled several break action CVA muzzleloders and none of them had side play when locked up.

Maybe CVA will take over the break action muzzleloader market.

Back