omega blowback

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlander

Reaction score
Hi, I just spent the past hour here reading about teflon tape, bp and primer blowback and now have some questions. I am shooting 777 pellets in my Omega, my bp I am using gorilla grease on, at the range this past week I shot 16 times, after getting home removing the plug was still easy to get out and was darn clean to say the least, does this mean I have no blowback in the plug area? Do you think I should even mess with trying the teflon tape? Primers I am currently using are Win 777 -209-, I have noticed the area around the outside on them are black and sooty, should I believe there is a little blowback on these? I was shooting plain Win 209's before but thought these might be better, I never noticed how they looked. Should I look at trying a different primer?

If the method you are using makes the breech plug come out easy at the end of the day, and clean up is next to nothing... you are doing fine. Don't worry about blow back. You want to see blow back, get a hammer striker open breech model muzzle loader. I think too much fuss is made about this blow back issue. The rifle has to be cleaned at the end of the day in my book. So clean it.

badlander said:
........................... Primers I am currently using are Win 777 -209-, I have noticed the area around the outside on them are black and sooty, should I believe there is a little blowback on these?.......................

Yes, you have a little blowback around your primers. However, as cayuga writes, it isn't something to worry about. To my knowledge, you can only reduce the blowback in your case by reducing headspace, but is it really worth it?

Thanks guys, thats all I needed to hear. As you all know there is alot of info here to read and after doing that just wanted to do all I can on my part. As I said I am shooting 777 pellets-kind of stuck on them for now, at the range the other day I tried some TEZ bullets and not real impressed with there performance, next time out I have some Harvester Crush Rib sabots to try with them and Ron Bugg from Haverster was kind enough to send me a sample of Scorpion PT Gold bullets to try. So anyway I have lots of shooting to do to find that one load. Thanks again, great site, guys here are always willing to help!

Back