Stump Houses

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen those before or heard of people living in them!  I wonder what my wife would say if I told her we were moving to a "Stump House"  :shock:

Smokin' Joe said:
I've never seen those before or heard of people living in them!  I wonder what my wife would say if I told her we were moving to a "Stump House"  :shock:
She would say OK.. but make sure it comes with a dog house. :lol:

FrontierGander said:
:face: Wow...I learned what a stump house was. 8)

I really liked the 1901 cedar house pic.  It tells me a little about their origin.  The man with the fiddle is likely an anglo-american migrant.  The popularity and origin of fiddles as a portable instrument has deep roots here in New England.  The music that common-folk fiddlers such as the one in the pic played was likely entirely learned by hand-me-down memory.(.i.e., no written music).  What's amazing is that many of these seasoned fiddlers had literally 100's of generation tunes in their head which are still played today in open music sessions.

Up the Coeur d' Alene river there are a number of old stumps...maybe 100 years old that are large enough to make into "stump houses"......I assume they are ancient cedar that were logged at the turn of the last century.

Back