JC's longest MZ kill to date...172 yds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Note..this thread pairs up with another shotgun related...so I posted both in this section in order to make them easier to view together...JC

----------------

Hey Guys,

Another belated report. This one from two weeks ago. (I have been having some computer work done and didn't have access to my pics for awhile.)

...Earlier this season I set up what has turned out to be my greatest tree stand site selection to date. What made this site so incredible is the fact that I built it not only to house myself but also my girlfriend Melissa, both at the same time!

This stand is the ultimate combination of ease of access, great location, incredible camouflage and most important to this post...exceptional long distance shot opportunities.

On several occasions Melissa and I had both set in this stand with the goal of her taking a deer with her MZ. While we did see numerous deer on several occasions all were very small does or button bucks that we passed on.

Late one afternoon on a particularly cold windy and snowing day, when we had both just about given up hopes of getting a shot opportunity, I noticed a deer quickly walking out in the field in front of me. Whispering to Mel to get ready for a shot it quickly became clear that the deer was moving through the field far to fast for Mel to turn around in her stand which was on the other side of the tree and get prepared for the shot. Fortunately we had already seriously discussed the fact that we both wanted to have a deer processed at our local butcher for pepperoni and sausage etc. So when I realized that Mel was not prepared to take the shot and that the opportunity for either of us to take a deer that night was going to be gone in seconds I decided I would try to take it if possible.

Literally within seconds of spotting the deer I had her in my sights just as she was about to walk in the beginning of the brush on the other side of the field. Having already calculated trajectory for this specific shot, knowing deer had regularly crossed in this spot, in the field I judged hold over and slowly pulled the trigger....

With light fading fast I quickly went to the location where the deer was standing at the shot. Fortunately, despite several previously unseen deer running through the same spot after the shot I was able to determine where the doe I had shot went through the fresh snow. Despite not finding any blood or hair I continued into the woods on the trail where all of the deer had exited the field. About 30 yds from the spot where I had shot at the doe I located good sign. Both blood and hair. Following the trail another 50yds, now in complete darkness with the exception of my headlamp, I found the doe laying dead less than 100yds from where she was hit.

Upon inspection it was obvious the doe never had chance. The bullet passed through the top of both lungs and exited the far side. Apparently, she had simply exited the field before her chest cavity filed with blood and the wounds began bleeding in earnest.

Below are various pictures including the views of the stand and the location of the deer in the field as seen from my stand in the tree..

The distance was later range finder verified at just over 172 yds! My longest kill date! (And was followed only two weeks later by a 156 yd 12ga shotgun kill!)

JC

View from stand...
172yds.jpg

View of the treestand, (the pine in the middle of the frame), while Melisa is in the stand...

1120091272.jpg

1102009010.jpg

Entrance wound...

1102009011.jpg

Exit wound...

1102009012.jpg

Lungs?.

1102009015.jpg

Sun setting on another day from the same stand overlooking the spot where the deer was crossing...

1120091277.jpg

big6x6 said:
Way to go Jeff! That's a good looking spot!

Thanks guys!

I should also add that I normally refrain from shots at these distances but I was confident that the 275 XPB I was using would do just do fine if I could do my part. Along those lines I had already ranged the trail in the field and more importantly I carry shooting sticks in this stand with me. For this shot I was lucky enough to have the shooting sticks for verticle support and a tree limb to use as horizontal support. Even though my stand doesn't have a solid platform to place the sticks on I have over come that issue by simply tying a rope between the two legs and lowering that over the the "beams" in the the platform of the stand. Finally, a huge determinent factor in my decision to pull the trigger on both of these longer distance shots was that in both cases there was fresh snow falling giving me a great added advantage in the case significant tracking was required.

JC

Latest posts

Back