Is Pyrodex that bad?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickJ1980

Reaction score
I know that BH209 is all the rage, but what's wrong with Pyrodex RS?

The reason I ask is that I've looked all over town, and the only powder left is Pyrodex and T7 pellets (which I can't use in CO).

not a darn thing wrong with Pyrodex. Been using it since i started using a muzzle loader.

A lot try to tell you that its corrosive, which it is, but it will take many many many months before it starts to leave any real damage. I've left mine loaded on a dirty bore for over 2 weeks, and loaded on a clean bore for well over a month with zero issues. Its very reliable and consistent powder. I live in CO and hunt here every year with Pyrodex. Rain/Snow, it doesnt make a difference.

T7 i used a couple pounds of it before i got tired of the inconsistenty of it. I had great times with the powder then the next and the next one would be terrible.

Clean your rifle well after every use. You dont buy a $40,000 truck and cry about a $40 oil change. Treat your rifles good and keep them clean and they will out last you.

Pyrodex is fine. It is dirty--it leaves a lot of smoky residue and fouling compared to BH209, but Pyrodex cleans up pretty easy. It is a little corrosive, so clean your rifle right away.

BH209 is great. It's not as "dirty" as Pyrodex and 777, and BH209 is pretty non-corrosive so I don't feel like I have to run home and clean my rifle immediately. But actual rifle cleaning time is about the same--BH209 and hot primers get my breech plug pretty carboned up and that is kind of a pain to clean.

Pyrodex is a lot less expensive to shoot too. Shoot it and enjoy. When you get the chance try BH209 and see what you think. Have fun.

There is not a thing wrong with Pyrodex. It is one of the most consistent powders on the market shot for shot. Granted it is not new and improved or claimed to be swab free. Still, any powder that has hung on the market for as long as Pyrodex must be doing something right.

Pyrodex is more corrosive them most powders. Ok.. I clean my rifles after shooting the same day. So what's the problem.

Pyrodex leaves lots of fowling in the barrel between shots. Ok.. I swab between shots and remove the fowling. Also Pyrodex is a soft fowling easy to remove. If you want because of the consistency of the fowling you can load a second and in some cases even a third shot.

Pyrodex takes longer to clean up the rifle at the end of the day. Ok.. a few more minutes. Another cup of coffee. Ten minutes more of reflecting on how much fun I had on the range.

And what's good about it you ask? Every little mom and pop sporting good store or major chain store carries Pyrodex. How many of them carry BlackHorn 209?

And what's good about it then you ask? The fowling cleans up with soap and water. It does not leave a hard crud ring in the barrel or the breech plug. How many have to get drill bits out or picks to clean the breech plugs after using BlackHorn 209?

And what is good about it you ask? On Wal Marts year end sale I picked it up for $7.00 a pound. About ten cents a shot. Even not on sale it is $15.00 or $25 cents a shot for a 100 gr shot. What's it cost to shoot Black Horn per shot?

And whats good about it you ask? Pick a rifle off the shelf. No matter the breech plug or nipple design. Granted it might not shoot in a flintlock unless you duplex it. But Pyrodex shoots in about any non flintlock rifle you can find. Can BlackHorn make that claim. Pyrodex will shoot with any cap, musket cap, or 209 primer. Can BlackHorn make that claim.

Pyrodex might be a little dirty. It might need to be swabbed. It might not be as powerful as the other powders, but shot for shot it will do the same job on a game animal as any of the powders. So when someone tells me that this new powder is better then Pyrodex, I always say.. its new, different, and has different characteristics. If those are the characteristics that are important to you, then pay the price and shoot it. If you want to have fun, hear the gun bang, see the smoke, and have good shot to shot accuracy, then get a pound of Pyrodex and knock yourself out.

Pyrodex is a VERY consistant shooting powder. MANY times it will be the most accurate powder in a particular gun. Pretty inexpensive too. It wouldn't bother me at all if that were all I could get.

...But I don't shoot as much of it as I used to. IMO it's the most corrosive powder out there. More so that black powder or Triple Se7en. It's also somewhat SLOW. Grain for grain, Swiss blackpowder and Triple Se7en will give you more velocity. Swiss will eat everyones lunch when it comes to velocity. Pyrodex also stinks to high heaven when cleanup time comes! For these reasons I have used WAY more Triple Se7en.

But still it wouldn't care too much if Pyrodex were all I could get.

"but it will take many many many months before it starts to leave any real damage"

FG, that's some pretty bad advice for anyone not living in a VERY dry climate. Pyrodex residue will eat the chit out of steel and do so quickly if there is much humidity.

But if you clean the rifle as you should anyway, Pryodex is a good powder.

didnt tell him to do what i do :lol: i was just givng some experience ive had.

And grand junction is almost like a desert :lol:

I like pyrodex, but I clean my guns quickly & frequently just the same as I would with real black powder which I also like. They are very reliable and cheap. That's why I like them.

NickJ1980 said:
I know that BH209 is all the rage, but what's wrong with Pyrodex RS?

The reason I ask is that I've looked all over town, and the only powder left is Pyrodex and T7 pellets (which I can't use in CO).

why would they outlaw T7 in COLORADO ??????

frontier gander thanks for the infos. would still like a logical answere why pellets are outlawed ...

Its hard to say why pellets are not allowed in one state and legal in others. Just like for a while there was no smokeless powder allowed in many states. Some states will change, and some will not. All State determine what is best for their hunters. And that's the way it should be.

Today I went to Sportsmans--the loose powder was all gone, I asked the salesman if there was any in back--No...

I had time and wanted to shoot so I bought 2 packs of 50/50 Pyrodex pellets and one pack of 50/30 Pyrodex pellets.

Long story short, I finally heard my 1st muzzleloader "go bang" & ended up shooting a 5 shot group that was 3" with one flyer that made it right at 5" but for open sights at 95 yards I'm pretty pleased. Never even moved the sights and was almost right on. I hope I can match that with the loose powder when I finally get some.

The brass jag broke off flush with the ramrod which was fun getting unthreaded--I proceeded to immediately break the plastic one I had as well. I also learned that bullets are tough to pull when you forget to put a charge in first! :oops:

Everyone's credibility is safe--The Pyrodex was very consistent shooting, even in pelletized form. Easy to clean, but there was a lot of crud left in there; even after swabbing between each shot with a wet and a dry and it smelled like someone was scrambling rotten eggs in my face when I cleaned it at home. It was a GOOD time! I mean it! :D

Well I shot my Black Diamond XR today at 63 yards using Pyrodex RS Pellets. I used two of them and a Shockwave and shot some of the tightest groups ever. I was swabbing with a simple very lightly moist spit patch and no dry patch. My Windex tends to freeze outside in the nozzle when on the range.

I then tried three pyrodex pellets and it was not as good. Still a good group but nothing compared to two pellets. And two pellets is all I need.

black powder said:
frontier gander thanks for the infos. would still like a logical answere why pellets are outlawed ...

Logical or not, the given reason they don't allow pellets (or sabots or scopes) is to keep the season "primative"

TC Triumph Weathershield

Remington primers (I forget what they were exactly--muzzleloading specific)

250 gr. Superglide/Shockwaves

80 gr. Pyrodex pellets (one 50 one 30 grain)

Shooting off a bench with bags.

When I switched to 300 gr. Hornady SST/LD's with 80 grains of Pyrodex the groups opened up and I didn't get to try 100 grains before my jag broke off but I think it would have helped.

Back