blackpowder success......the hard way.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcrik

Reaction score
I thought you guys might like this one.

My brother, is not much of a hunter or woodsman. More of a salesman type. For his son's sake, he agreed to go deer hunting with us that year. After some range time, he felt confident enough to pack a Lyman Plains rifle...double set triggers...iron sights...50 cal. patched round ball. When the big day came, it was cold & 25 inches of snow on the ground. It was a very blustery late Ohio primitive weapons season. He made the long trek to a high gap in the Scioto county hills and settled for a long chilly wait. Somewhere around 8:30 am a "herd" of antlerless deer strolled near his position and it looked to him like he would be back in front of grandpa's wood stove after a quick easy kill. Ok, he's kneeling, he lifts the rifle and sets the FRONT trigger! Boom! and a white cloud of smoke fills the air as he sends the shot wildly into the air. He pulled the wrong trigger! All the deer, now in shock and looking right at him, just stood there looking in his direction with eyes and ears like radar. To his credit, he just freezes and waits there motionless until the herd moseys over into the draw. Out of sight of the deer, he now lays in the snow on his back and reloads. As he was laying there recharging his smokepole, you guessed it.......A REALLY NICE BUCK was following the does. With fresh load, my brother swings the big fifty around, correctly sets the back trigger and lines up the sight on the big buck. POW! ....the big Whitetail went down. Shaking with excitement, my brother goes to collect his prize. But wait.......his quarry is down but not out! The shot had hit high on the spine and had only disabled his back legs.....and with fire in his eyes, he was coming for revenge! Quickly, he needed another reload. OH NO! He thought bringing along only TWO shots would be plenty.....OUT OF AMMO! My brother circles around a tree as the big buck tries to cut him off. Frantically my brother grabs a fallen branch, using it for a weapon to hold off the buck as the deer's flailing hoofs just miss his face. Back and forth, the momentum switched several times during the the fight. It raged on for some time before my brother eventually wedged the tree limb into the buck's antlers and hooked the other end to a tree. He then drew his gutting knife and killed his monster. Both the winner and loser of the fight lay in the snow in the middle of the battlefield for some time before my exhausted brother had recovered enough to go get help. It was 9:30 that evening when he brought in his first buck!

There is a hunt he will never forget. And I bet he takes a few more charges with him next time. Excellent hunting story.

Back