Leupold Ultimate Slam VS Nikon Omega vs Leatherwood/Hi-Lux

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever shot one of these and do you know why Jeff Cooper made them this way?

35901100_0940_Large_.jpg

Mine is very similar

A scope is like any other tool, you choose the right one for the job. On the bench rest with a sled i have no problem with a sub 4" relief but the GMB 54 is only 6Lbs and i strongly prefer a scout style Cooper mount for this application unless im shooting from a rest all the time.

Im going to try a Simmons 4x Pro Diamond first since they are so cheap/compact and have just a tad more relief. I already have some good bases too. Remember this application is for sub 100 yard use and i want it as compact as possible.

I also have an older Burris 2x pistol scope im not using and its far from 4" relief. :lol:

Both my WinApex and Accura 45 have sub 4" relief and they are just fine for their application and magnification.

The Ovation with a typical mount is a total PITA to add or remove a primer. So i use a red dot mounted far infront of it. Sight/target acquisition is instant and both eyes open.

On the GMB54 i could probably use a typical relief scope but i love the scout style using a good quality pistol scope mounted in front of the breach plug. No scope in my way during loading and much less chance of scope burn since its in front of the opening. ;)

Long range use or if the pull is just right, i have no problem with a sub 4" relief. I own several already including an older Shepherd on a heavy barrel FNFAL converted for "range" use. It also weight over 13lbs loaded. :D

Back