Encore problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrlnfshr1

Reaction score
Not really a muzzleloading problem per se, but I figured I would post it anyway since there are so many Encore shooters here and the rifle is a muzzleloader half the time. A friend has an Encore that he has been using as a muzzleloader with no problems. This year he got a .270 barrel for it and after 4 shots the gun wouldn't fire. Dented primers only. Sent it back to T/C and they said everything was in specs but they replaced the barrel anyway. Long story short, it still has the problem, except this time 4 dented primers with a deer in the crosshairs. Has anyone had a similer problem with an Encore with a centerfire barrel? He is using an aftermarket hammer extension, but this never was a problem with the muzzleloader barrel. Any help would be appreciated since we still have a week left of firearms season.

He might try removing the extension first of all, but a heavier weight hammer spring from Bellm would surely do the job. Might as well get the spring kit while he's at it.

The other thing he NEEDS to do if he hasn't done so routinely is to start removing the firing pin assembly and thoroughly cleaning it.

mrlnfshr1
A lot of encores have a problem with a weak hammer spring, that only shows a problem on center fires, TC refuses to admit it. Go to the Belm web page on encores and down load the free instructions, get a spring kit. First thing I did when I got mine. Lee

probably is a ML problem. Blowby cruds up the firing pin and rusts the spring. It should be clean out regularly. Dry firing can also bend the firing pin.

get the aluminum hammer extension from Mike BELLM..with a new heavy duty hammer spring ..

might also check the trigger stop screw, i had the same problem with a 30-06 barrel, the screw would stop the trigger and put the hammer in safe mode before the pin could travel all the way. bought the heavy duty spring anyways and put it in. never had a missfire this year and i still have the alluminum extention on the hammer.

Latest posts

Back