Problems with TMZ BT in Savage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppermouse

Reaction score
I have recently purchased some Barnes TMZ 250 gr with BT. Using the supplied yellow sabots I have had problems I believe related to the sabot. They are special ones desgined for the BT bullets. I am using AA 5744 (44 gr.)

When I go back to the 230 gr XTP with black MMP sabots it shoots sub MOA.

Any suggestions or ideas? I was told BT bullets won't shoot well in Savage

I have tried several differant loads in those boattails in the past and could never get any acceptable groups. Best chouice might be the Barnes Spitfire T EZ(flat base bullet, but same as TMZ otherwise)

Here is the link:
http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/m ... %e2%84%a2/

I have settled on the Parker 275gr BE as my standard bullet. Both are very accurate(sub-moa) on my Savage and my NULA.

Barnes had a recal on some of these, they didnt fit the sabot correctly. It is on thier website. They shoot 3 inches at 200 yds. out of mine with 68 grns of imr4198. good luck

Most who have used these bullets have found that they like speed to shoot well. I don't think you will get enough speed to satisfy these bullets using (44 gr.) AA 5744.
Many have found the H 4198 to work much better with these. The cost of this speed is in added recoil.

DC

You might try the Harvester Yellow Crush Rib Sabot. After taliking with Ron at Harvester, I think they made that sabot for the barnes boat tail bullet. That bullet really shines with the yellow CR in my knight and tc ahead of 120GR BH209. Not sure how it will do with the higher pressures, but it might work.

I wish I knew how to link a posting I did over at Doug's website that i did about a week or so ago. I have been shooting Barnes TMZs and Spitfires, both BT bullets for over two years now and have enjoyed some great success. Im not kidding when i say the last post i did at dougs is quite long compleat with pics of my targets at both 100 and 200yrds. My advice is go to Dougs and search for posts done by art338wm or search back 2-3 pages and you should find my post.

In it you will find all the components i used, how and why I knurled the TMZs and S-fires and all info I felt was worth posting that could prove helpfull to you and could be what you need to get them to shoot out of your 10ML-II.

To try to peak your interest, I posted pics of several moa and sub moa 100yrd targets as well as somw quite good 200yrd targets. If you are intersted in solving your problems it will be time well spent finding anf reading my post at Doug's.

Good luck,
Arthur.

Thanks DW. While on the subject DW, do you know of a book that i could buy that would tech me the fundamentals of how to post things like the link you did for me? Something along the lines of a "For Dummies" book.

Thanks,
Arthur.

ART338WM said:
Thanks DW. While on the subject DW, do you know of a book that i could buy that would tech me the fundamentals of how to post things like the link you did for me? Something along the lines of a "For Dummies" book.

Thanks,
Arthur.
I am pretty stupid about this stuff too.
I just right clicked your link, left click on "copy link location" in the box that drops down, and then right click in the space you want the link to show up, and then left click "paste" in the box that drops down.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back