Round Balls in Sabots? For plinking or small game...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Blame it on the high fever from the H1N1 I've been dealing with all this week...

But I had plenty of time to think about "How I could spend more time in the field" with my Omega X7 after I bag my big buck this fall (gotta think positive!). So I was thinkin'...

With my old T/C Cherokee .45 caliber, I'd use the same patch and ball and just cut back on the powder charge to come up with a plinking/small game load that was accurate at 25 to 35 yards.

Was thinkin' (again, under the influence of H1N1) :wink: that it might be fun to use the Omega for that role later this winter...

Has anyone ever tried to shoot .451" or .457" round balls using the same sabots we use for .451" diameter conicals from a modern inline? The sabot should protect the soft lead from the bore and hopefully, impart just enough spin to be accurate at short range.

I'm thinking the slight 0.006" oversize (versus 0.451") of the 457 balls just might help prevent the round ball from separating itself from the sabot once loaded, plus I have plenty of these for my Ruger Old Army.

I might try this some time to see what groups I can get at 25 yards, but I am curious if others have had this virus -- I mean "thought". *

Has anyone tried this?

Old No7

* Seriously, don't get sick if you can help it! 3 and 1/2 days of aches and pains and high fever and only now am I just starting to feel better. And maybe I am getting off "easy" with this, as some folks are dying from this da*n thing... It's not fun...

I have shot .490" RBs in Hornady "plastic patches" (sabots for RBs)from my Omega, and it shot about 2" at 50 yards with 80gr BH209. I didn't try other charges or powders, but it looks promising.

I suspect that the smaller diameter .451" would do OK, but you might need to switch powders for consistent ignition.

Don't under estimate just a plain RB and Patch. I squirrel hunt with my Genesis using that load. Here's a pic of the testing I did. I'm even using BH and I get perfect ignition.

Best group was 30g of BH, 490 RB and .10 patch. I did use a wad over it to protect the patch because it's a thin patch.

IMG_7918w.jpg

Back