Stickbow shooters?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firestick

Reaction score
How many of the members shoot recurves or longbows or selfbows as their bow of choice here? It seems a natural to shoot a "primitive bow when you choose a primitive rifle. I left the world of wheels long ago when it no longer was a challenge to hunt with a compound.

Hunt with both dont prefer one over the other anymore, used to be stickbow only or compound only but since I enjoy both I do both.. Have killed critters with both and either is a challenge just different.

dbowling said:
Hunt with both dont prefer one over the other anymore, used to be stickbow only or compound only but since I enjoy both I do both.. Have killed critters with both and either is a challenge just different.
Same with me. ;)  Hunted with both last year...this year I have a hankering for my selfbows.  
There may come a day when I purchase a crossbow in order to continue hunting. Something different to look forward to.

While I shoot a longbow and recurve for enjoyment, I do not hunt with one. I just am not as proficient as I need to be. Each time I start shooting practice I get better and better as the session goes on. The next outing I start only slightly ahead of where I started the last time. I shot every day to be ready for a hunt. I found a deer and checked the distance. I did everything I practiced and made a bad shot. The animal was killed by a friend with a rifle later in the day. I recognized my shortcomings and decided not to hunt with a stick bow again unless I was able to repetitively retain accuracy. So, I shoot one by preference but I do not hunt with it.

No doubt now-a-days my effective/confidence range shrinks considerably when I plan to hunt with my traditional bows.  Not likely to take a shot over 20 yards.   I'll stretch my compound bow range though out to 30 yards.
My longest distance deer harvest with a bow was at 39 yards...and that was a HUGE whitetail doe taken with a recurve.  My shortest deer harvest was my best bow buck...a 9 pointer at a mere 7 yards.   Because of my relatively short effective bow ranges I try to compensate with hunter skills.

I build, shoot and hunt with my selfbows. Sometimes I carry stone points if legal and depending on if I hunt on the ground or in a tree stand.
Take deer every year with my primitive bows. Just took a big doe in Kansas last weekend with this bow. It is a take down osage, timber rattler snake skins, 58lb, with cedar shafts and Magnus 2 blade heads.
Mike

Attachments

• Timber Ratler Take Down-7-1-17.JPG
    Timber Ratler Take Down-7-1-17.JPG
    817.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Mike-Doe-10-25-19 (2).jpg
    Mike-Doe-10-25-19 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
iCSsRD4.jpg

Great shot McClura and awesome bow! That doe will be mighty tasty.
___________________________________________________________-
p.s. I'd be curious to know how you joined those "take down"bow limbs.

Same here. Might be wheels, might be recurve, or might be longbow as the mood strikes me. Recurve today.

Started out with a Ben Pearson fiberglass bow set I got for my 16th birthday, then went to an Indian recurve (knock off of a Bear Grizzly) in 1966. Now I shoot a Bear Montana, although I still have the Indian. I try to get out in the back yard and shoot at various distances every day, but often life gets in the way.... Not doing much hunting anymore, but I do enjoy killing stumps when I get the chance.

~WH~

Same here. Might be wheels, might be recurve, or might be longbow as the mood strikes me. Recurve today.
Same here...wheel, recurve or stick depending on the mood and weather. Currently however I'm in wheel mode by physical necessity...my right shoulder has been announcing it's age lately. The compound let-off gets me by for now.

I got out of wheels 30 years ago. Shot recurves ever since and love it. I have a custom Bighorn and several vintage Bear recurves. My 2 favorite hobbies are traditional archery and traditional BP shooting.

2019 buck 6.jpg

I chose the Evolve 35 because the stand I was going to hunt often offers longer shots. This guy came out right under my stand on the same trail I walked in on. I shot him when he quartered a bit...at 10 yards! Center punched his heart and one lung. He ran about 100 yards and I saw him go down. I've still got a doe tag, so it will be recurve or longbow for the rest of the archery season. Then I hope to have a load worked out for the Navy/Pedersoli Kentucky .45 caliber percussion I have coming. If not, the TC Hawken will have to get it done again.

iCSsRD4.jpg

Congrats! CLOSE encounters like that really gets the adrenaline goin'.
Good choice of bow when long shots are expected. Enjoy the traditionals 30coupe with the remainder of your season.;)

I've never owned a compound and only shot one ONCE many years ago. I have hunted with traditional bows for 64 years. At 83 years old I still hunt with a short longbow

an old fox.JPG

Latest posts

Back