Season getting closer in Ohio

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim1jr

Reaction score
With season getting closer in Ohio, I was wondering which bullet to go with. SST or XTP

Tim

Which ever shoots better and you are more confident with.

Both will lay the wood to a white tail.

Doohan said:

Ditto :D

Shooting a 300 grain XTP at a whitetail is akin to throwing a hand grenade at it. It will absolutely destroy all that is in it's path. Last year I was hunting on one side of a deep ravine in the mountains of Va and a small six point buck came over the steep ridge. This buck walked almost all the way up to me and stopped behind a cedar tree. I knew something was wrong. He blew and began to run up the other side of the ravine away from me.

Free handedly I focused my crosshairs between his shoulders which were completely exposed to me and pulled the trigger. BOOOOM......this buck slid all the way down into the ravine. Good shot huh? Not at all. I hit this buck in his hind quarter with an entrance wound the size of a quarter and and exit beneath him that looked like and explosion had taken place. Every ounce of blood in this deer had poured out of this wound.

Moral of the story.........if you want a dead deer use a 300 grain XTP. If you would like some meat to eat a 250 grain SST will do just fine......Doug

The 250 SST/SW has always proven to be most accurate for me and will flat put a deer down.

Doohan said:

EXACTLY!

I would also like to add if accuracy is EQUAL...the longer the possible shot, the more likely I'd be to use the SST.

I got me a new savage a couple months back but due to work i haven't had a chance to shoot it thus is why i was asking the question cause i am new to smokeless but this board is by far my favorite, and have seen alot of sucess stories

Tim

Tim,

If you want to save yourself some time... buy a pound of 5744 and give it a go. (4759 is a good choice as well, a bit faster too!)

With 44gr. of 5744 my gun has nearly the same zero with the following combos:

275 Ballistic Extreme w/ supplied sabot (MMP short)
300 XTP w/ Harvester Sabot
275 XPB w/ Harvester Sabot
225 XPB w/ Harvester Sabot

On my recent trip to KY, my gun was zeroed with 225 XPB's and made the switch to the Parker 275 Ballistic Extremes at the last minute.

And the muzzle loading season ended for me today. Good luck

Latest posts

Back