Shooting position

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1

Reaction score
I use a camera tripod as a shooting rest in all my groundblinds.
I have shooting stick attatchments on them.

NikonTripodshootingrest.jpg

When I shoot should I have the barrel in the "V" or the forend of the gun?

The forend - about where you would normally hold it with your hand for off-hand shooting.

Just for the heck of it, try a shot or two with the barrel in the V rest. It will likely shoot erractic and well above point of aim.

Semisane said:
The forend - about where you would normally hold it with your hand for off-hand shooting.

Just for the heck of it, try a shot or two with the barrel in the V rest. It will likely shoot erractic and well above point of aim.

Thanks for the tip!!
I flat missed an 80 "chip shot" last night of a Stoney Mt bipod.
Cross hairs locked on the shoulder and shot felt great.
Shot did happen fairly quickly and I am sure looking back I had the barrel in the V reather then the stock. Been bothering me all night.

Steve

Most of the guys that have competed in muzzleloading bench rest for long enough to win much will tell you about the same thing. Put your forearm support where the screw is in the forearm and no side pressure of any kind. Lee

Any preasure ont he barrel will effect your accuracy. I really like your setup though!

Well,I have been doing it wrong.Thank's
Now I can blame my miss on that :D

OptimaAndy said:
where did you get the mount for your tripod?

It's the standard camera mount that comes with tripods.I had a shooting stick from Gander mtn and screwed that on there,it is threaded to recieve the cleat.If I make a kill I unscrew the shooting rest and screw on the camera and take my own pictures.
I get the el cheepo shooting sticks from wally world for them now.
I did see some for sale seperatly but I was already equiped.

Latest posts

Back