Starting another kit build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhinoDave

Reaction score
I managed to get a good deal on a Pedersoli Deluxe Cub .40 cal. Flint kit at alocal gun show. The shorter barrel and smaller bore should be much easier on the old bones
Pretty easy kit so I should be able to finish it in a short period of time

I use to have one of those in .50 and killed quite a few deer with it.

As of right now, the barrel will be rust browned using LMF browning agent. I like the looks of this and it is fairly easy to do. I'm still trying to figure out the stock finish as there is a strip of sap wood along the top of the butt that is considerably lighter than the rest of the stock. I've heard that Dixies antique stain will do a good job of matching up the wood but I'm not sure. Really open to suggestions on how to do this. As soon as I get the contrast issue resolved. I plan on finishing with Birchwood Caseys genuine oil. I used this on my Pennsylvania rifle and like the finish. The stock is walnut.

As of right now, the barrel will be rust browned using LMF browning agent. I like the looks of this and it is fairly easy to do. I'm still trying to figure out the stock finish as there is a strip of sap wood along the top of the butt that is considerably lighter than the rest of the stock. I've heard that Dixies antique stain will do a good job of matching up the wood but I'm not sure. Really open to suggestions on how to do this. As soon as I get the contrast issue resolved. I plan on finishing with Birchwood Caseys genuine oil. I used this on my Pennsylvania rifle and like the finish. The stock is walnut.
Keep us updated on your project. I really enjoy watching members transform a smoker to their custom liking! I'm constantly learning from you guys for my future project.

Got a little done today. Defined the lock and lock bolt plates. Just need to do a little contouring around the comb and the stock will be ready for finish sanding. Also cleaned up the muzzle on the barrel. 20200122_163336.jpg20200122_163213.jpg

Finally got around to finishing this rifle. Still haven't test fired it yet.

125346752_3774082822601998_1865302844411682050_o (2).jpgCub finshed1.jpg

Back