swift bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutt189

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these? I am trying to find a bullet to replace the nosler partition since I can't find them anymore. I am using xtps right now but would like a tougher bullet for close shots but performs out to 200

Nutt189

Swift 'A' Frames are excellent bullets if you can find them... I think Big 6x6 did a lot of shooting with them.

Just got a PM from jsteurrys he said he has a source of 260 grain Noslers in the 10 pack cards for $6... you might PM if you are interested.

I would also suggest a plain jane bullet - that I call a 'Poor man's Nosler' but Speer makes a series of bullets called Gold Dots. They are a bonded bullet with controlled expansion and work very well.

Another bullet should not overlook is the Speer .452/300 grain Gold Dot or even the .452/250 Gold Dot.

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

I am also testing a new bullet from Lehigh. It is an all brass bullet with a HP. It does not use the conventional expansion theory but a theory more prevelant in Europe, I think it was developed in Germany. I just shot a nice buck with a .458/275 grain Lehigh - it worked great.

Might take a look at them also - a .452/250 would be the one I would suggest for whitetail.

http://lehighbullets.com/

An this is one more vote for the Gold Dot. I have used them on deer bear and boar at all different ranges and believe that they are among the best.
It just goes to prove the most expensive have some god low priced competition. Lee

were can you get gold dots mid south is outa of them

can you get them in a .451

Sam208

Sam, they are hard to get right now, but that should change. There was a large article in the paper the other day ATK the owner of Speer, was announcing that they had hired another 600 employees, for the Lewiston plant bringing the total number of employees to the largest number they have ever had. The have signed a 14 million dollar contract with the French to supply them with Gold Dots + the contracts they have with US law enforcement. It went on to say how Obama, has created a unusually high demand for recreation bullets and they are having an extremly hard time trying to fulfil contracts and domestic recreation demands...

if you get a .451 - it will not be a Gold Dot it could be a Uni-Core which shares some design features but the Gold Dot is the better.

thanks i guess i could just buy the same size sabot

it a shame that they had to quit making the nolser 260 gr bullet

sabotloader: What is the Speer # on the 300 gr. Gold Dot? My JSC catalog shows the SPE3974 as a 300 gr. Gold Dot and states .451 diameter!!!

Edit: Just checked Speer website and shows it as .452; the JSC catalog must be wrong!!!!!

The .451 in 300 gr is the uni-cor,not the G.D. The G.D.'s are a .452 in 300 gr. Sorry, don't know the speer #.

i have a bunch of the 325 grain a-frames. gander ran a clearance several years back for 2.97 a 10 pack. i bought all they had locally. great bullet but shockwaves drop way less on longer shots. ideal bear bullet over bait in my opinion.

Do the gold dots shoot comparable to the ftp with the same sabot. I am gonna try them I haven't heard anything bad yet

In my rifles the gold dots and the xtp are shot using the same sabot. I too am fond of the Nosler, and am sad they are no longer available. There are some 300g Nosler still available if you are interested in trying them.

http://www.grafs.com/product/266020

There are also some 44 caliber nosler available.

http://www.grafs.com/product/266003

This hunting season i have been using the 270g gold dot to see how they work. Thus far 5 deer have been killed using this bullet. Tissue damage is kinda similar to the Nosler, but not so much. Of course, this is highly subjective. Every deer fell right where it was hit, and 4 hit through the lungs died very very quickly. One was hit above the lungs and below the back bone, and lived quite a long time, which i guess it should beins' how nothing vital was struck. It, however, was unable to get up.

I kept trying for a low double lung shot, but it never happened. One of the deer looked like it was on the run, after i shot it, but when i reached the area where it was standing when it was hit, it was laying there dead. It evidently was hit high enough so that the nervous system was affected as were all the others. I was hoping to see if there was enough blood trail to track readily without snow, but it never came to pass. Over the years, deer i hit in the lungs with center fire rifles always ran some ways, but none of these hit with the Gold Dot managed a step.

coltchris

The Speer number is 3974 for the .452/300 Gold Dot.

The original Gold Dot was a .451 but a couple of years ago they redesigned the the nose on the bullet to give it a better BC and moved the diameter to .452...

Their server is down at the moment so I can not get the numbers for you. Here check this site...

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... =000213974

Nutt189

Do the gold dots shoot comparable to the ftp with the same sabot. I am gonna try them I haven't heard anything bad yet

They shoot very close to an XTP, except the 300 Gold Dot has a much higher BC than the XTP so at longer ranges it flys a little flatter.

Thanks guys. Lots of good info. I think I'm gonna try the gold dot 250

Nutt189

If you can find them, you will really like them on whitetail.... they have a huge deep hollow point, something like the old Barnes bullets. I shoot it 175 yards and do not even give it a second thought.

Here is a ballisitc sheet showing the information you might want to see. This was shot with 110 grains of T7-2f.

250SpeerGD.jpg

Nutt189

Could u run that with. 110 of bh209 with a omega??

There will be very little difference between 110 of T7 and 110 of BH with a 250 grain bullet. BH is really does not create that much more velocity than an equal amount of T7 until you get up in projectile weight. The 250 grain weight is where it starts to separate from T7. With a 300 grain bullet you can get around 125-175 fps difference in like charges.

since I have not shot a 250 across a chrono with BH I'll estimate 100 fps greater with BH, this is what the chart would look like.

452-250GD-BH.jpg

As an example with a 300 grain projectile, 110 grains of T7 gets around 1780 fps and with 110 grains of BH and the same 300 grain projectile it moves to 1840 fps

The heavier the projectile the greater the increase....

Latest posts

Back