BARNES expander MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black powder

Reaction score
went shooting today to try out the BARNES EXPANDER mz .used my ENCORE 50cal . 2 T7 pellets +BARNES 250 gr EXPANDER mz ..was shooting at 100yds and these bullets are just awsome ,very accurate and best of all they open up like a flower ,no fragmentation they will be my hunting bullets from now on ...i also recovered 2 of the bullets that i shot into a pail of wet news paper at 100yds...

That's some good looking mushrooming! And some fine shooting as well. Great report.

im gonna have to give those a try sometime, where would you say the cheapest place to get those? thanks

funman said:
im gonna have to give those a try sometime, where would you say the cheapest place to get those? thanks

DAVE i live in canada and i buy them at SAIL [HUNTING STORE] and u probably can get them much cheaper in the usa..i only use them for hunting on the range for practice i shoot the HORNADY SST 250 GR.they are much cheaper ..but for a hunt i use only the best quality bullet that i can find ..

Thanks i was just looking at cabelas they arent too expensive, i also use the hornadys but would like to try something different might give them a try.

That is EXCELLENT expansion at 100 yards with just 2 777 pellets.

Chocodg

I have never used them to hunt with in my muzzle loader, but have killed several deer with the very similar Barnes Expander bullet that Federal loads in their 20 ga slugs, and they are awesome deer killers. I recovered one from a big Iowa 9 pt. that was quartering towards me. I hit him in front of the left shoulder and found the slug when we quartered him--it was back against his pelvis and had expanded exactly like Black Powder's photo in his post. And the slugs chronographed at just over 1800 fps, which is close to ML velocities. Definitely good bullets and worth trying IMO.

Very nice! I have been drinking the Barnes Cool-Aid for a while now. I just love the accuracy and performance of their bullets.

black powder: I guess you used the supplied sabot ?
That was my favorite bullet in my Omega and Knight Elite...with T7.

For some reason it's not as accurate with BH209 :( I'm thinking it might be the sabot fit (needs to be tighter loading) ? I think the Barnes MZ is .450 dia.... so maybe should try ithem with the thicker Knight HP or Harvestor Red Smokeless sabots.

Sure works on deer ! Another reason I like them... you can push them real hard without breakup, but they also expand down to 1100 fps (per: Barnes).

rt_con said:
black powder: I guess you used the supplied sabot ?
That was my favorite bullet in my Omega and Knight Elite...with T7.

For some reason it's not as accurate with BH209 :( I'm thinking it might be the sabot fit (needs to be tighter loading) ? I think the Barnes MZ is .450 dia.... so maybe should try ithem with the thicker Knight HP or Harvestor Red Smokeless sabots.

Sure works on deer ! Another reason I like them... you can push them real hard without breakup, but they also expand down to 1100 fps (per: Barnes).

I've found that the Barnes T-EZ is more accurate when used with a black MMP HPH-12 sabot instead of the supplied one. I'm not positive about the Expanders but the T-EZ is .451.

the bullet is a BARNES EXPANDER MZ ...but ..i bought the BARNES bullets sold by KNIGHT [barnes red hots] and it comes with an ORANGE sabot which goes tighter down the barrel than the yellow sabots that come with the origional BARNES ..

BARNES expander MZ made by BARNES but sold by KNIGHT ...

black powder said:
the bullet is a BARNES EXPANDER MZ ...but ..i bought the BARNES bullets sold by KNIGHT [barnes red hots] and it comes with an ORANGE sabot which goes tighter down the barrel than the yellow sabots that come with the origional BARNES ..

BARNES expander MZ made by BARNES but sold by KNIGHT ...

I'll try the Barnes MZ sold by Knight (i.e "Red Hots"). That orange sabot may be made especially for Knight's... which seem to be somewhat looser bored than the T/C's.... Thanks !

my attempt at posting pics did not work :?

I'll try again... :roll:

With Frontier Gander's help I will try again at posting pics.

This is the recovered Barnes Expander 20 ga slug from a 2006 Iowa buck. Bullet performed great and penetrated the length of the deer--in the front of the chest and found back by the pelvis. I think the muzzle loader Barnes Expanders can be expected to do just as well.

IMGP1059.jpg

IMGP1060.jpg

IMGP1047.jpg

congrad.on ur sucessfull hunt ..nice buck ..and yes i see ur bullet did a perfect job without FRAGMENTING ..

Looks like a dead deer to me...

Paia, that is impressive for a 20 Gauge. Congrats on your deer.

Cajun said:
Looks like a dead deer to me...

Paia, that is impressive for a 20 Gauge. Congrats on your deer.

Thanks very much--and don't underestimate the 20 ga with the newest sabot slugs. They turn the 20 into essentially a .44 Mag. For instance Winchester Supremes have a 260 grn HP that I chronographed at over 1800 fps from an 18" barrel. They are great for when my friends and I are driving deer, but I still prefer the accuracy and economy of my Omegas. The fancy slugs are $3 to $4 a shot. Even with Blackhorn209 and Barnes bullets my Omegas cost a lot less than that.

Latest posts

Back