leupold vx-1 1x4x20 shotgun/muzzleloader scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakesdad

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with these scopes?Was thinking of buying one for my disc extreme.Curious on how the 20mm objective lens works out with FOV and light gathering.Plus the 1-4 power,i'm sure its enuff magnification mostly deer no more than 125 yd shots.Thanks.

Your field of view of course will be limited. Its not like a 32mm or 40mm. I shoot a Nikon 1x20mm and I like it. If your targets or deer are standing out there, and you have time to line up your shot I will bet it would work real well. As for light gathering it should be very good to excellent I would think. Like I said, I use a 1x because it is all that is allowed in our hunting season.

do you notice a tremendous amount of difference/loss in field of view as compared to the 32 or 40?wont be takin any running shots,mostly wooded areas and smaller crop fields

jakesdad said:
do you notice a tremendous amount of difference/loss in field of view as compared to the 32 or 40?wont be takin any running shots,mostly wooded areas and smaller crop fields

According to spec on Leupold website, the fov of the 1-4 muzzle loader scope is larger than the fov of their 4 power fx-2 when the 1-4 is set on 4 power. When the 1-4 is set on 1 power, it has a very large fov. The 4 power scope is what i have on my rifle, and the fov hasn't seemed to be a handicap.

What the 20mm objective affects the most is the exit pupil, which determines how bright the target appears to be. The exit pupil even when it is set at 4 power should be ample for early and late shooting, but if it isn't, one can reduce the power some.

i have the VARI-X II 1-4 on my muzzleloader and am very pleased with it. mine has the heavy duplex recticle which is an asset in low light conditions.

FOV?

To the best of my knowledge the objective size has nothing to do with FOV...in fact , the Leupold 1-4 VX-I and VX-II along with the 1.5-5 VX3 have the largest FOV at the lowest power of any scope that Leupold makes....over 70 ft. @ 1oo yards!

I have a VX III 1.5-5X20 on my slug gun and have no complaints. The light gathering capabilities are excellent and the field of view in all powers is just fine. I've killed deer out to 125 yards with it.

I also have the VariXII 1-4X on my slug gun and like it very much. It has plenty of FOV and is plenty bright enough for any shot during legal shooting hours, and I hunt some pretty thick, dark pines sometimes. For deer to around 125 yds. it's perfect IMO. I don't know first hand about the VXI 1-4X, but I have an older 2-7X Shotgun/Muzzleloader Leupold on an Omega and like it too. All my scopes (10) are Leupold.

I think a good quality 20mm objective lens, like the Leupold's, gathers plenty of light and does a better job than a poor quality 50mm.

jakesdad said:

I have no problems what so ever with the field of view. I have only the one Nikon 20mm but I also have a Simmons 2.5x20mm on a Knight and find that a wonderful little rifle to shoot. Out to 100 yards that scope and rifle is no problem at all. I also hunt heavy woods and 99% of my shots are at standing deer. That means I am in a stand and have time to get on target, and line up my shot.

Leup 1-4X

+1 (or is it now +4?) to what was said earlier by barkbuster, bluedog, farmallm51 and paia.

Since a picture says 1,000 words... I'll add my pix of that same scope on my T/C Omega X7:
T-C_Omega_X7_w_Leup1-4X_01_Medium_.jpg

Why yes, it IS mounted LOW...
But there's still plenty of room for my thumb to easily/safely access the hammer, for those who may "question" the use of low rings...
T-C_Omega_X7_w_Leup1-4X_02_Medium_.jpg

Tight groups!

Old No7

At four power with a 20MM objective you would have a 5MM diameter exit pupil , which is pretty much all the human eye can handle anyway.

Been using that exact scope with the heavy duplex for quite some time on shotguns and now on muzzleloaders and think it's perfect for any game and any daylight conditions. Field of view on 1X is 75 feet and on 4X it's 25 feet. As I recall, the late, great Jack O'connor never used anything more than 4X for any game, and he hunted goats and sheep, so you know he took some long shots. I think you'll like that scope on your gun.

Is the heavy duplex or standard duplex the way to go?Thinking the heavy would be nice for hunting,but may be tough for range work.

Heavy Duplex. All of my night hunting scopes on my centerfires for Predators have a Heavy Duplex which show up fine with very little light required. I shoot woodchucks out to 275 yards using a Heavy Duplex without any issue.

"Thinking the heavy [duplex] would be nice for hunting, but may be tough for range work."
Well, you "may be" right about the last part, but you are right about the first part -- besides, targets don't taste as good as venison!

Good huntin'!

Old No7

The heavy duplex is tough for range work because it covers a lot of target area--I am guessing 2"--at 100 yards which makes precision load testing hard. But the heavy duplex is nice for hunting.

FWIW I have one heavy duplex scope and it's fine, but I won't buy another. I have never had a problem seeing the regular duplex reticle while hunting and like it better for range work. JMO and .02

Latest posts

Back