5 minutes, 2 bullets, 2 dead dear

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshsmit56001

Reaction score
It was about 4:15 and we had not seen any deer all day. The sun was going down over the coutryside and I started to get the crappy feeling that I was not going to see any deer in the day. As the sun crepped lower I noticed some movement way off in the distance. I lifted up my binoculars and found two does coming coming down one of the fingers in the corn field. This year was quite different from past years as the corn was still standing on at least 75% of the farm. This was a blessing in disguise! The two does slowly made their way down to where my stand sat 12 feet off the ground.

Out of nowhere the does popped up around the corner. The larger one was being very cautious so I slowly raised my TC Omega everytime she looked away. Once I raised my scope to eye level I framed the larger of the two in the scope. She was facing me head on but the other was broad side so I moved to this doe. After comtemplating taking the shot I decided to wait for the bigger doe to turn broad side which she did soon after at about 50 yards away. I placed the cross hairs behind the shoulder and pulled the trigger. BOOM! Big puff of smoke and I could not see which way she ran. Off in the distance I heard the corn rustling but I was not sure if I had hit her or not. I reloaded the muzzleloader and as I was placing the primer, the smaller of the two doe popped up to the right with the look of "What the hell just happened?" I once again slowly raised my Omega and place the crosshairs behind the shoulder and pulled the trigger. BOOM! This time I knew I had hit her because she did that hurt jump right after wards.

I got down from the stand and walked to where the second shot deer ran to and found her about 50 yards away. The barnes TEZ passed straight threw the shoulder. One deer down!! I then proceeded to see if I could find any blood from the first shot deer. A few feet from where I shot her was the bright red gleam of victory on the fallen leaves of the corn. I followed the blood trail about 60 yards and ten rows into the corn field. There she was, the biggest doe I had ever shot! I pulled her from the corn and found that I had hit her farther back then I wanted to but found that I managed to hit a lung. My brother and I tossed the two deer into the back of the truck and contemplated what we were going to do with the rest of the weekend since we were successfull on the first day out. This was my first muzzleloader deer and I couldn't have done it without the help of everyone on this site.

Now its off to the processor and my mouth is already watering for the gloriuos venison of these southern MN corn fed deer!

Hope you all enjoyed my story

Josh

Great story, and congrats on your fresh venison.

Congratulations.. kind of made it look easy. Way to shoot. Them barnes are good bullets.

joshsmit56001
Congratulations, good shooting.
UC I took the biggest one of the six I had in front of me [140#] I never had a doe that was not really good and tender. I was a bit concerned about the 170 pound 7 point buck I took this year but he turn out really good to got him just before the rut.

Back