Squirrel problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark1945

Reaction score
I have a problem with Squirrels ,I live in the city so I cant shoot them .I have been trapping some but need some suggestions on bait . What i have been using worked for awhile but now no takers. They are running my bloodhounds crazy in my back yard and causing some bad dog fights when one of the hounds catches one. I have been using Flemings Squirrel bait in a 110 body trap but they wont take the bait any more. Also have been using pears from my tree with a small amount of success, Just need something that is new and hopefully tasty to the tree rats.

Also have tried peanut butter no takers except birds.

How about using a high powered pellet gun. I have shot many squirrels off of my bird feeders out to 30 yards with my RWS 45, .17cal pellet rifle. It gets over 1000FPS, and is accurate enough to shoot the eyes out of a squirrel.

Too many houses behind my yard,with nosy neighbors . I just set my traps in my trees .Out of sight . If Im lucky enough for squirrels to get in my big Oak tree in front yard I have been known to use a pellet gun out the bathroom window and pop several .

Might have to give that a try anything to catch the tree rats. Because everytime my Bloodhounds catch one its a big ass dog fight and I really dont want them hurting each other.

What about wrapping the trunk of the trees with sheet metal? Looks terrible I know, but some use it around here with success. Only works if there aren't any lines or limbs extending close enough to your trees that they can't access them that way.
As far as bait, what about in the shell peanuts or sunflower seeds?

Might have to give that a try anything to catch the tree rats. Because everytime my Bloodhounds catch one its a big ass dog fight and I really dont want them hurting each other.
If you will put your snares on a broken limb about the size of your arm leaned at an angle against a tree, the rascals will run up it instead of just going to the base of a tree and then going up, put 3-4 on each limb. It will work. The angled limb is a faster way for them to leave the ground. I use trip flare wire that comes in the kits we used in the Army.

Renegade that wouldnt work here they have power lines above the fence in my yard . They either run the fence or the power lines and just jump to the trees from above. Ive tried peanuts but will give sunflower seeds a try.

Tough that you can't even use a pellet rifle. Squirrels were a big problem in two places I lived while still in my native Georgia. While we had neighbors all around there was no problem using pellets and even .22 cb caps. But that was rural Ga.

This is the first time I have lived where I couldnt blast there ass with a 12 gauge. usually they dont bother me much but this bunch here just loves to mess with my Bloodhounds and they really get noisy . I lived in Ga back in the early 70's and was the same way just blast them nobody would say anything.

Have you tried an owl or hawk decoy? Worked for me in the past. Squirrels won't come near our yard.

If you are looking for good bait.....acorns work very well, especially this time of year.

Back