"limits" of hornady XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakesdad

Reaction score
What do you guys that have shot game bigger than avg whitetails(mulies,elk,caribou,moose,etc)think about the use of the .452 300gr XTP on these type animals.I have shot nothing but whitetail with this bullet and it has performed wonderful(90 grains BH209 in a disc extreme)and was wondering how it may perform on bigger game say out to 125yds.I like to keep things simple,a one load for most everything if possible type of guy.dont have immediate plans to hunt any of the mentioned above real soon,but may someday.just curious on experienced opinions.really like the xtp;cheap,available,and proven.thanks fellas.

jakesdad

Just my opinion but I think there are limits to the 300 XTP, and personally that is why I switched to the 300 Gold Dot - a bonded bullet, but I am/was pushing them much harder than you are.

It would be my guess with 90 gtains of BH you are putting them out there at a respectable velocity but not such a great velocity that it might strip the lead from the copper.

125 yards should be just a short walk in the woods for the either the 250 or 300 XTP.

My buddy shot a 100 pound hog with a .44cal 300g XTP from 100 yards. He was using 100g of BH209 and the bullet performed perfectly.

I agree with you...one load for each rifle. My load for my two Disc Extremes is 100 grains of BH209 and the 300 grain XTP.

I don't use the .452 version of the 300 grain XTP, but I am a very big fan of the .430 version. Theoretically, at least, it is a tougher bullet and flatter-shooting than the .452, but I imagine it would be difficult to notice a difference in the field. I have never recovered one from a deer and a couple of them had to penetrate quite a ways due to the shot angle. I would not hesitate to hunt anything up to elk with them. If an XTP won't do the job, then no 250-300 grain bullet will do the job, and it is time to load up the KRB-7 with 495 grain No Excuses conicals (or break out the .458 Winchester Magnum Model 70).

bullet

I iuse the XTP/MAG. I understand people are hesitant to use the mag because of how hard is and at close range might not expand? This is more a question than a statement.

The MAG version of the .452 XTP is the one I would use in a rifle because it is designed to hold together at the higher velocities possible with modern subs like BH209. The regular version is designed for the .45 Colt revolver cartridge, and might come apart at higher velocities. I suspect that any problems that have occured with XTP's on game have involved the regular version at velocities beyond its designed performance envelope.

The .430 XTP that I prefer comes in only one flavor, and that is a MAG equivalent.

Also, a bullet will expand more at short range because its remaining velicity is higher. As the bullet speed decreases, as a general rule, expansion decreases and penetration increases, within reasonable limits.

I think there are probably better bullets, for large bodied big game animals, available, however, you could do worse. Stick with the 300 grain XTP's vs. lighter XTP's for penetration on big critters. I killed 6 or 7 deer last year with 250 grain .452 XTP's in front of 100 grains of BH 209, and they performed wonderfully. DIT to 40 yards max travel after the shot. 240 lb. Kansas 9 pointer dropped dead in his tracks, 80 yard shot. Bottom line, you could do better on large animals, but you could do much, much worse!

thanks fellas.my dream hunt is moose,whether it happens or not remains to be seen.I get 1 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100yds with the 300xtp and 90 gr bh209.I'm glad to see confidence from other experienced fellas using this bullet,and yes there are better bullets,but probably are more bad ones than there are more better ones.I think this bullet will perform well on most game at 125yds or less.thanks again fellas.

This is a great question. The 300 grain XTP is economical to shoot, the most accurate from my experience (mostly with the Savage ML-II), but has always concerned me for use as an elk load. The suggestion to use the mag version makes a lot of sense and I will plan on giving them some range time.

Cob

Re: 90 grains of FFG 300 Grain XTP

hakx said:
From my older post. I think that XTP's are underrated. I'm sticking with them for yet another season. Hopefully the image link instills a level of confidence when it comes to big game and XTP's.
252 Yards

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m413 ... 0_1034.jpg

sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words ,and ur pic say's it all .

sabotloader said:
jakesdad

Just my opinion but I think there are limits to the 300 XTP, and personally that is why I switched to the 300 Gold Dot - a bonded bullet, but I am/was pushing them much harder than you are.

Have to agree on the performanced of the Gold Dot bullet. I have been involved with this bullet for quite some time. I am in law enforcement and specialize in firearms training and ballistics. I was also present at Black Water doing some training with the FBI and the techs from Speer came and we did a series of tests with this bullet. We fire through different windshields, plywood at different widths, car doors and numerous other media. Well I can say that the bullet held up to its reputation and stayed together.

My Sheriff's Office has used the bullets for duty ammo for years now.

Now with that all said, I am a lover of the 300 XTP with a green crush sabot in my sidekick. It has performed well each year I have had it and harvested game each year for the last seven years.

I know WTF!!!

I use a .452 300 grain for deer and the 300 grain Xtp Mag for elk . I have shot only a deer so far, but have seen two elk taken with the 300 grain xtp mag . one dropped ( my sons) and the other was shot at 140 yards ran 25 yards and folded up . They may be better bullets out there but for the price you can't beat them . IMO . I buy the bullets and sabots in bulk . :D I have tried a few others but keep going back to the Xtp . they have been the best shooting bullets in MY encore so far and my Traditions pursuit pro and 3 friends Tradition pursuits also love them . I use 90 grains of BH 209 and Klean bore primers in my Encore . I hope to get a Elk this year , I blew it last year , last day of my hunt i forgot to put a primer in my gun after going to a new area , I sat along a trail for 3 hrs when a bull came by and stopped at 60 yards, i hand my Encore resting on a log and WOULD have drilled him IF i had the primer in . :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: CLICK :lol: :lol: :lol: I had to laugh !!!!!! It was the last day and evening of my hunt too !!!!!!! :oops: :oops:

Here is the bull my son shot with the 300 grain XTP mag . This was his very first animal he ever shot and with a muzzy . Lucky it was a small one if there is such a thing .

codyelk12.jpg

One tired but very happy OLD man ( ME )with the last load . Horses would have been nice !!

packingoutcodyelk13.jpg

Rob: Nice story and congratulations to your son. I agree, the XTP's are hard to beat for the money.

Latest posts

Back