Some success with Swiss 3FG

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
It took a FLINTLOCK to get good accuracy out of it at 50 yards!

1st low group I was thrilled to death with. Adjusted sights and the next 3 were ok, not great but a hell of a lot better group than I get with this powder in my sidelocks!

70gr 3fg Swiss, .020" patch, .490" round ball at 50 yards.
20190820.jpg

The bad part? That crap doesn't ignite unless I push some 4f into the vent hole with a wire pick! LOL I re-primed the pan 5 times and nothing! I pushed a little 4fg gearhart owen into the vent, BOOM! Fires super fast that way, but without doing it, It's like hunting with an empty gun. I tried something crazy and went as far as filling the pan up completely and nothing! There is something very very fishy about that swiss 3fg.

Its still good enough to shoot on the range, but for hunting, no friggin way I would consider using it.

That can of Swiss 3F sounds like this Swiss Caviar that i got? Their Caviar is a Ball powder designed to flow through Powder Measures Better (BPCR Guy’s) I got a can of it for no other reason than “Just Because” I wanted to try it, This Caviar is EXPENSIVE. And it was a Hangfire Champ! Accuracy was Good, But it Delay fired EVERY Shot, i have that on Video, I actually Quit and went home, Weighed out regular Swiss 2F and went Back to Finish my Shooting, about a 30 Mile Round Trip over it. I almost did away with that Can of Powder, But now that i have this New Knight Mountaineer inline Rifle, and Running Regular 209 Primers there is no doubt it will work good in it.

Latest posts

Back