Some Range time yesterday

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally got to do some shooting today. I was playing with my cast bullets (cast at .457") sizing them and shooting them at .451" and .452" earlier with mixed results. So I ordered a .454" sizing die and got it the other day. I had some cast and lubed waiting for the die so after sizing took them out today.
My Hawken is a .45 caliber with a GM LRH 1:30 barrel and has a T/C 7194 peep sight and a globe front sight with the simple post insert. I shot the middle target first using a felt wad under the bullet and a charge of 80 gr of Goex FFFg. 3 shots in about 3". Not too bad for 100 yards. Next 3 shots were same except I used a .062" .45 cal veggie wad. The group although center was about same POI was cut down to about half size. Needless to say I was pleased. The .454" bullets can thumb start about 1/3 the way then a short starter is needed to get it down the bore. After the first 6" or so the go down with a nice firm push.
Next up was the Accura with a Leupold Ultimate Slam ML scope. 2-7x. Shooting 90 gr of Alliant Black MZ and Barnes 290 gr TEZ bullets. All 5 shots in a nice little cluster dead center in the bull. Can beat that with a stick.

I tried to add the image of the targets but for some reason it didn't show.  I browsed images, selected and sent but it didn't attach to the post!?

37150d1558732195-little-range-time-today-dscn0929.jpg

Was able to copy and paste here.

That is looking great. I have always wanted to try a cotton ball over powder instead of an actual "wad" or "bore button". Commercial wads did not help accuracy in my rifles but some other method may.

FrontierGander said:
Careful with a cotton ball, highly flammable.

Give them the borax treatment and they should eliminate that problem.

Cotton balls work great behind certain conicals and I have used them for years.

John

Latest posts

Back